When can I peek in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My first brew has been in the primary since Saturday evening....I lifted the edge of the lid on monday ( I think it was) because I read the thread on Nottingham yeast not starting well. I had a nice kraussen then and havent touched it since. The air lock is bubbling away and everything seems fine,......When should I check on it again....or just forget about it for two weeks?

As Spoerk said, leave it for a while. If you are using a secondary, you should start checking the gravity around day 12 or so. It never hurts to leave it longer. If you are not using a secondary and are going to leave it in primary, just don't touch it until you are going to bottle it. The less you "look in" the less chance of infection.

Congrats on your first brew!!!

Sounds like things are going swimmingly. There is no good reason to touch this for at least 2 weeks.

At two weeks take a gravity reading. If it is where you want it either transfer to secondary or let it sit another couple weeks in primary and bottle. If gravity is not quite where you want it, then let it sit another few days, and sample again.

+1 - Forget about it. One of the hardest things when starting out is waiting. Start planning your next brew, and brew it - build up your pipeline.

After a couple weeks take a grav reading.

I honestly have no idea where the SG should end up at...OG was 1.052 as best I could tell.. I planned on primary for two weeks then a glass carboy secondary for a week until reading on here that few use a secondary. I want it as clear as possible and have been reading and reading and reading on how to accomplish that. I would like to try cold crashing but for a first try I don't wanna get too carried away. Ok two weeks it is, and no peeking until then.... I gotta start another wine to have SOMETHING to mess with until then!

I ferment in a pail and can't resist peeking at my beer a few times a week. I've found that popping out the airlock lets me peek in through the hole so I can have a look and still have minimum exposure of my beer.

HMMMMM Another brew sounds even better. I think an Irish Stout from the local brew store.

Check on it as often as you want. It's like looking at your baby in the hospital nursery. You can't get enough. :) You also won't hurt it, especially while it's actively fermenting.

However, from the sound of it, it's just fine. Yep, move on to the next baby. :mug:

TL

+1 to leaving it alone. Your patience will be rewarded.
Also, the beer will clear on it's own. I have a Wit that's been in the bottle since the middle of August and when it gets poured out it's crystal clear (I didn't use Irish moss or whirlfloc either).

hmmmmm I didn't open the lid but I did get down close and take a good long whiff at the airlock....smells like limes? Is that normal?

ok in the fermentor for one week..still havent looked in other than a peek through the air lock hole......planning at least another week in there before I do anything with it.

Check on it as often as you want. It's like looking at your baby in the hospital nursery. You can't get enough. :) You also won't hurt it, especially while it's actively fermenting.

However, from the sound of it, it's just fine. Yep, move on to the next baby. :mug:

TL

A tentative +1

It's not the best idea in the world to keep disturbing it, but on the first few brews it is also important to learn what things look like during the process.

No, airlock sniffing is definitely not normal. I think you need medical help. :)

-a.

Here's your nurse
beer-girl_9692.jpg

She says to take two of these and call her in the morning.

Here's your nurse
beer-girl_9692.jpg

She says to take two of these and call her in the morning.

:off: Two of ?what? and what should I call her in the morning.

For the OP: That's why I love fermenting in glass carboys... watching the bubbles is mesmerizing.

Ok I finally took a peek in the bucket...I wish I hadn't. It looked pretty gross, beer is VERY dark and thick looking with gunk floating on top......I am sure it is fine but it looked pretty gross....the smell on the other hand was pretty nice!!

Back