This is what 50 POUNDS of hops looks like.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
It took 5 hours to break this bad boy down!

Sitting on some GREEN Gold
P1020531.JPG

11 POUNDS of Cascade
P1020533.JPG

The spread
P1020534.JPG

Cool. The first pic looks like you are striking up a serious male stripper pose. I was getting nervous about scrolling down.

BTW, your house is super clean. SWMBO must run a tight ship.

Cool. The first pic looks like you are striking up a serious male stripper pose. I was getting nervous about scrolling down.

BTW, your house is super clean. SWMBO must run a tight ship.

SWMBO? Try me... dude, I am the cleanest, most organized person I know. We are actually cleaning up in the morning before hop customers come over! I also DRILL into my kids that I own this place, they are passing through, so to treat it with the utmost respect. :mug:

Dude, I dunno...

What I can say is this. The #1 bags were about 2oz over each... no more, no less really.

I WILL NEVER buy 11 pound or 5 pound bags again... they were over by like ONE OUNCE! So if I had purchased them in ONE pound bags, we would have seen about 30 ounces of EXTRA that we didnt see. :(

Total overage I am guessing was 4.5-5 POUNDS...

Basically if you ordered 8 ounces, chances are you got 9 ounces. If you ordered a pound, you got whatever HD sent, generally 18oz. If you ordered less than 8 ounces, you really didnt see much overage, maybe .25-.5oz.

BUT THEY ALSO SHORTED US A POUND OF PERLE

yeah, i guess that makes sense as the 11lb and 5lbers really didn't have that much of price break from what i can tell.

Have you been able to contact them about the Perle? Never heard a story about HopsDirect customer service.

seems fair to me, you got some extra but at those prices, you cant expect a ton extra.....maybe next year

yeah, i guess that makes sense as the 11lb and 5lbers really didn't have that much of price break from what i can tell.

Have you been able to contact them about the Perle? Never heard a story about HopsDirect customer service.

Yah, we will have the Perle in a week.... sorta bums me out, but we got 49 pounds!

It was a successful buy, I mean you cant complain about 5 POUNDS of extra hops.

Yah the price break on the bulk qtys. is small, does not outweigh the overage that you would get if you ordered it all #1 at a time.

My fridge now has 19 different hop types, and a total of about 10 pounds!

was their any hassle with HD getting them send the extra pound of perle?

Meh... the lady didnt sound too happy about it, but I was like... I dont have it, I have packaged up all of the hops and they arent here. So she said that they would ship it to me free of charge, no kidding?

Not excited to send them, but they didnt argue the fact that I didnt get them.

The FoodSaver got a REAL workout today.

With the overages on the package weights, I got about 117 OUNCES of hops for $1.09 SHIPPED.

SO I figure that I saved about $.91 - $1.91/OUNCE

That comes out to $106.47 - $223.47

So, the $65 FoodSaver has paid for itself over and over again :rockin:

With the overages on the package weights, I got about 117 OUNCES of hops for $1.09 SHIPPED.

SO I figure that I saved about $.91 - $1.91/OUNCE

That comes out to $106.47 - $223.47

So, the $65 FoodSaver has paid for itself over and over again :rockin:

That's pretty substantial. :rockin:

i gotta say, you look a lot younger than i thought you were.

I think that is a compliment!? I get that a lot, it is all of the life giving fresh beer that I get to consume, with help from HBT :D

i gotta say, you look a lot younger than i thought you were.

Agreed! Don't take this the wrong way as I am sure you are a fine professional pilot (actually you should take it as a compliment) but if I were going to get on a plane and saw you in the captain's seat, the first thing I would ask the attendant is if they were sure you were old enough to fly the damn plane. :D

Agreed! Don't take this the wrong way as I am sure you are a fine professional pilot (actually you should take it as a compliment) but if I were going to get on a plane and saw you in the captain's seat, the first thing I would ask the attendant is if they were sure you were old enough to fly the damn plane. :D

I do appreciate that, and take that as a compliment... I have my fair share of old ladies asking me if I am old enough to "drive" the thing. Yep... I am old enough to "drive" it and fly it. I know I freak people out, I just tell them that I am a prodigy :drunk:

I do appreciate that, and take that as a compliment... I have my fair share of old ladies asking me if I am old enough to "drive" the thing. Yep... I am old enough to "drive" it and fly it. I know I freak people out, I just tell them that I am a prodigy :drunk:

and here i thought you were going to just tell them you are old enough, but just barely. "after all, this is my first time..."

and here i thought you were going to just tell them you are old enough, but just barely. "after all, this is my first time..."

Heh, the people that say "this was my first time flying, it was great..." I am like, it was my first time too!

Back