cold crash then add gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno

Reaction score
I've never used gelatin before as a clearing agent and know many add it before cold crashing. Is there a problem doing it after crashing? My Nut Brown hazed up after chilling and was going to try to clear it up. It is a brown ale that was made from the spent grains of my barley wine so it may be a protein haze that wont go away. I'm not sure. My beers usually come out clear so I've never dealt with this. Thanks Ryno
Oh just to mention, this beer was in the primary for 3.5 weeks and ended up very clear. It is after it was at 34 degrees for 5 days it got hazy and some floaties in suspension.

If you add gelatin mixture to cold beer, it will just coagulate and drop to the bottom.

Gelatin needs to be added to room temp beer in order to mix. Then it can be chilled. I usually wait at least 3-4 days at room temp.

Now...if you want to remove the beer from the chiller and return it to room temp over a day or so...then you could proceed with gelatin and rechill.

I'm a big fan of the ol' gelatin. If you are using gelatin I probably would'nt even bother with the cold crash.....That's probably just me though. :)

Thank you BierMuncher, I'll give it a go! Also thanks for the oustanding recipies you've posted. I've tried a few and have all turned out great.

I have always added gelatin after i cold crash when i am racking to the keg if i dont use a secondary and never had a problem. It clears it up in a few days. Just my two cents.

While we are on this topic...I have a beer that got stuck fermenting at the end so I added some dry yeast to primary to finish it out. It is now in secondary, but should I cold crash and/or use gelatin to ensure that I don't bottle a huge amount of yeast? I just want to make sure I leave enough yeast to carbonate, and I'm wondering if one method works better for just dropping out the bulk of yeast. thanks

Back