If I chill, then decant off liquid from starter, do I need to feed it before pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
In other words, once I decant off the top liquid do I just pitch the slurry, or do I need to add more wort to the starter to get it active before I pitch?

I guess that just depends on how long the starter has been sitting around for. You want to try to pitch that starter soon after making it. I usually let my starter go for 24-48 hours on the stirplate and then cold crash for a night. This will bring the yeast out of suspension to make it easier to decant. The next day (brewday), I'll take it out of the fridge, decant and then bring up to room temp for pitching.

If you're planning on making the starter well in advance, you may need to reactivate the yeast by feeding them some new, sterile wort, but that's only if you're keeping it in the fridge for more than a week without pitching.

from what I've read, it's actually better for the yeast if you've chilled and decanted to pitch them cold. something to do with the yeast starting to use up their stored resources as they warm. I'll try to find an actual link or something with hard evidence for that..

Back