Better dinner than me???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Well seasoned beef fresh tomato fresh cilantro, fresh avocado sharp cheddar cheese.

ForumRunner_20130410_224901.png

Lol, I was really just testing the app.

Tastiest member? You're not gonna find out.;)

I wanted to do a poll. The app can't evidently do that. Pity.

The meal was effing fantastic.

Corn tortillas warmed but not fried.

cheezydemon3 said:
Lol, I was really just testing the app.

Tastiest member? You're not gonna find out.;)

I wanted to do a poll. The app can't evidently do that. Pity.

The meal was effing fantastic.

Corn tortillas warmed but not fried.

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for tastiest member. ;)
Polls are useless anyways and the app knows that so it keeps them from happening.
Also, good choice on the corn tortillas they're the best.
Even better homemade.

While I may not have made the best dinner, I bet I beat 98% of hbt'ers.

The fresh avacado and slice of tomato (as opposed to salsa and guac) is really a nice change. Sometimes simpler is better.

The beef was SO spicy. It all balanced out fantastically......had 8 frigging tacos!!!!lol. Normally I rarely have a fourth.

I hope it is a troll, no one deserves that!

I agree with the first half of this sentence, before the comma. The second half is patently untrue.

Last night I got a chicken, skinned it and threw the skin in a pan for schmaltz.

I pulled off the breast, legs, thighs and wings and put them in a marinade of sesame oil, soy sauce, scallions, ginger and garlic and put them on the "grill plate" on the stove.

Rest of the carcass I threw in a stock pot with some dill, onions, celery and carrots. Seperate project.

I roasted some frozen brussels sprouts (hey its freezer cleanout week) in some schmaltz, salt and pepper.

The chicken marinade I threw in a pot with some water and rice. If I ever do that again Im going to use less marinade and more water, but all in all it worked. The rice was a weird color, however.

I agree with the first half of this sentence, before the comma. The second half is patently untrue.

Last night I got a chicken, skinned it and threw the skin in a pan for schmaltz.

I pulled off the breast, legs, thighs and wings and put them in a marinade of sesame oil, soy sauce, scallions, ginger and garlic and put them on the "grill plate" on the stove.

Rest of the carcass I threw in a stock pot with some dill, onions, celery and carrots. Seperate project.

I roasted some frozen brussels sprouts (hey its freezer cleanout week) in some schmaltz, salt and pepper.

The chicken marinade I threw in a pot with some water and rice. If I ever do that again Im going to use less marinade and more water, but all in all it worked. The rice was a weird color, however.

What is this schmaltz you speak of?

Literally rendered chicken fat. Its used a lot in Jewish cooking in place of butter or pork fat. I cant say its just as good as pork fat and maintain self respect, but I can say it comes rather close.

Hmph! Sounds tasty. Now that you describe that it seems I remember watching someone on TV making matzo balls one time and they were using schmaltz in them. I also remember thinking "what the hell is he talking about" but now I know thanks to you.

Jewish huh? I'm surprised you didn't chime in on my lox thread, that's some good stuff right there!

:mug:

I'm not Jewish myself but I dated enough Jewish girls to pick up a taste for their moms's cooking :). I must have just not seen your lox thread! Since its difficult to smoke in NYC I make gravlax instead and eat it like one would lox. Salt cure vs. smoke cure :).

Making schmaltz is pretty easy. Add the chicken skin and any leftover fat to a cold nonstick pan and put on medium heat with a little salt. Pour melted fat into a jar through a fine mesh strainer and you are done. I've heard of people adding onion to the pan, but personally the onion flavor isnt wanted.

lets see if i can top ya keep in mind everything was homemade

monday general taos stir fry with white rice

tuesday grilled marinated pork al pastor with pineapple habanero salsa and fresh avocado

wednesday double sliders with chipotle mayo and caprese salad

tonight grilled brats with caprese salad

friday chicken fajita's with beans, onion cilantro salad, fresh guacamole

sat tbd

lets see if i can top ya keep in mind everything was homemade

monday general taos stir fry with white rice

tuesday grilled marinated pork al pastor with pineapple habanero salsa and fresh avocado

wednesday double sliders with chipotle mayo and caprese salad

tonight grilled brats with caprese salad

friday chicken fajita's with beans, onion cilantro salad, fresh guacamole

sat tbd

Sounds lovely, salut.

I'm not Jewish myself but I dated enough Jewish girls to pick up a taste for their moms's cooking :). I must have just not seen your lox thread! Since its difficult to smoke in NYC I make gravlax instead and eat it like one would lox. Salt cure vs. smoke cure :).

Making schmaltz is pretty easy. Add the chicken skin and any leftover fat to a cold nonstick pan and put on medium heat with a little salt. Pour melted fat into a jar through a fine mesh strainer and you are done. I've heard of people adding onion to the pan, but personally the onion flavor isnt wanted.

Well I'm sure my Jewish culinary terminology needs work, such was already pointed out on my lox thread. I called it "smoked gravlox" which isn't correct apparently.

But anyway, first I salt/sugar cured a fresh salmon fillet for about 5 days, then I cold smoked it for around 6 hours using cherry wood pellets. The result was amazing, I can't stop eating it and am down to my last portion so I'll have to make more soon.

Back