Can't do GIMP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I have tried, watched the youtube files, spent some hours and I can't get passes how to make my label. I am stuck at selecting something, rotating text, making a line and so many other things it isn't even funny. Couldn't they make it a little more user friendly for those of us that have never used this type of program.

Or am I just a nincompoop and my patience is trying?

Follow some of the tutorials on gimp.org. That's how I learned. It's a tad confusing at first, but you'll catch on after a bit.

+1 to that. I had no idea how to do anything on GIMP at first, but stuck with it and gave it an honest try. Mow I am creating some cool stuff (IMO) now that i gave it a chance...

GIMP is user un-friendly.

+1 to working through tutorials or just messing with it for
a week or two to get a feel.

I agree 100% about GIMP being user unfriendly...

The key is understanding how the program works. Once you start understanding stuff like layers, transparency, paths, alpha, etc... you will find it isn't as complicated as first thought. Key is just get in there and play around.

GIMP is definitely worth what I paid for it: $0. I wish PaintShopPro was available for Linux.

ditto (read: postwhoring) on the tutorials. Just follow along with them for a few pausing them when needed. Then just time. If you don't understand a tool, Try messing with it, You can't break anything!

Luckily my PC came installed with Adobe Photoshop CS2 (at my office). If you get an opportunity to buy the program at a decent price, it is so worth it!!

Not exactly true.

Photoshop is VERY well laid out compared to GIMP. Plus there is almost
infinite tutorials on photoshop that are very well done for beginners.

I'd at least give it a try if GIMP is killing you.

I wanted to try GIMP as my CS2 is a bootleg and won't install on my Visa machine (online activation is disabled now apparently). But it appears that GIMP does not support RAW file format meaning I would have to process everything into jpegs first thus losing the "photo negative" potential of the file. With CS2 I could use the RAW file and then save that as something else after I have played with the tweaks (thus leaving the original "negative" alone).

Meh. I have never chopped a photo so far (opted to learn how take better pictures, still learning) and I don't make labels (except with painters tape and a sharpie :cross:).

I wanted to try GIMP as my CS2 is a bootleg and won't install on my Visa machine (online activation is disabled now apparently). But it appears that GIMP does not support RAW file format meaning I would have to process everything into jpegs first thus losing the "photo negative" potential of the file. With CS2 I could use the RAW file and then save that as something else after I haveplayed with the teaks (thus leaving the original "negative" alone).

Meh. I have never chopped a photo so far (opted to learn how take better pictures, still learning) and I don't make labels (except with painters tape and a sharpie :cross:).

This is an issue a coworker/photographer was griping about just yesterday. That's when I learned what RAW format was. Sounds awesome.

RAW basically means that the photo is stored without processing and the processing info (exposure, etc..) is includid seperately as EXIF data. Whereas, a JPEG is prcessed first and then saved.

It basically means the diference between adjusting a photo negative (digitally) or "touching up" a developed photo.

I wanted to try GIMP as my CS2 is a bootleg and won't install on my Visa machine (online activation is disabled now apparently). But it appears that GIMP does not support RAW file format meaning I would have to process everything into jpegs first thus losing the "photo negative" potential of the file. With CS2 I could use the RAW file and then save that as something else after I have played with the tweaks (thus leaving the original "negative" alone).

There are some links here that may be worth trying out (I have no idea if they work, was curious myself so did a quick google).

Doh! A Plug-In. Whoodathunk it?

Actually, I should have realized that was a possibility. I guess I was just more frustrated with my PS not being functional now (Damned Adobe for not facilitatilng bootleging of there hard developed products :drunk:).

Like I said, I have never used it for anything real (just played with it) so no real loss. I may look more into GIMP. It does appear to be just as beffudlingly powerful as PhotoShop.

You also have to realize I have been working with photoshop for over 4 years. If you spent 4 years on gimp, you would probably be pretty damn good. Just google gimp tutorials and work with them a bit.

Get ready to scratch your head constantly if you are used to Photoshop.

They put that menu WHERE???

Photoshop and Gimp are different. Gimp takes some getting used to. Do the tutorials as previously stated, then also get inkscape and do those tutorials. After much plaing around you will start to get the hang of it.

I am an avid Gimp user. I can help ya out if you post specific questions. I'm not very artistic, which is my problem, but I've figured out how to do most of what I want to on Gimp. Stand by for some examples.

I prefer Gimp because it is (1) open source, (2) free, (3) powerful, and (4) comes with free plugins. However, to each his own...

I am an avid Gimp user. I can help ya out if you post specific questions. I'm not very artistic, which is my problem, but I've figured out how to do most of what I want to on Gimp. Stand by for some examples.

I prefer Gimp because it is (1) open source, (2) free, (3) powerful, and (4) comes with free plugins. However, to each his own...

I am right there with ya on this Kass. I am not going to spend the arm and a leg for photo shop when GIMP does the job and free...lol

Here are a couple I made with GIMP. They are by no means good, but not bad for only knowing the program (or any program like this) for only a little over a month.

Cox_Label_3_fade.jpg

Cricket_unfinished_5.jpg

Uncle_Kev_Display.jpg

Also, GIMP and Photoshop are just tools. Use what works for
you. have you seen the youtube videos of people recreating
the Mona Lisa in MSPaint???

Less than 20 years ago designers were still making things by
photocopy, hand drawing and cut and paste. It's all about the
user and less about the tool.

Edit - That's ironic because you hardly ever see any hand drawn
illustrations in products anymore. Shame.

Indeed...you shame me! I saw the progression of that Dunkel on the other thread and it was great.

Edit -
You know, I do have a GIMP question--seems appropriate to put it here. Does anyone know how to take a flat ring and make it look embossed? I'm working on the logo, and I'm having trouble just taking a layer with a flat ring and giving it a 3-D look. I can't find a filter that really works. I'd post the .xcf file for general editing by the populace, but it's rather large...

Ha Ha! Trust me.... I got a ton of hours in the last month on these 3 labels. So by saying only a month makes it seem really short compared to if I would have counted hours....lol.....Seems like I am working on something with GIMP every day nearly. Its cool how I learn something new with it every day. Never done any kind of graphic art stuff before and find it fun. To bad it took me 33 years to find out I liked it....lol

Hey Kass, I seen something to that effect somewhere on GIMP and cant for the life of me remember where I seen it (on work computer right now so I can't cheat and look)...

I am thinking there is something like that in the "Create" section, but don't hold it to me. If you are still looking tonight when I get home I'll see what I can find for ya.

You are talking like a 3d ring of sorts right?

Exactly. I hadn't looked in that section before. After a brief look I think it may just have what I need...

thanks a bunch!

Hey where is Redwater? I grew up in Dallas...

GIMP's tricky. I have no photo editing experience, but I was able to turn out this flyer for my car show in just over two days (two WHOLE days, it's amazing how much time you can burn with homebrew, cable, and a driving ambition to learn a computer program). That included learning the software and two other versions that failed to meet my artist friends' approval.

2009Bash2v6.jpg

Exactly. I hadn't looked in that section before. After a brief look I think it may just have what I need...

thanks a bunch!

Hey where is Redwater? I grew up in Dallas...

Cool, I wasn't sure where I seen that but I was thinking something like that was in there.

Redwater is right outside of Texarkana. Not close enough to be considered a suburb of T-Town though.

I can't see your image due to my work computer blocking the image, but I agree with you 100% when it comes how much time you can burn.....:mug:

I still can't figure it out...tough, I will work on it. The youtube explainations are ok, the ones on the website are essentially letting you know why you are an idiot for using windows and not linux. I have settled on only learning it via my work computer otherwise I might throw my laptop at home.

I know, us Linux users can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Keep plugging at it--we can try to help!

I might put together a little trash tutorial on the very basics, though it seems that Maveric would be much better at it.

I tried to get used to GIMP while using Linux, since Photoshop won't work in Linux, but I just couldn't do it and went back to Vista and PS. The only reason I don't primarily use Linux is because the lack of support for Adobe Products, mainly Flash and Photoshop. They don't work with Wine or the commercial equivalent.

I haven't read all of this thread but have you all looked at some GIMP tutorials? Simply by doing a Google search with "GIMP tutorials" loads of sites come up. Deviantart.com has some GIMP resources and tutorials as well. Just by following tutorials you will learn different concepts and how to do certain things.

Latest posts

Back