Adding water to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowerking

Reaction score
I'm curious about adding water to the secondary to bring the total volume back up to 5 gallons. I'm brewing a stronger dark ale and when I move it to the secondary I'm fairly certain it will be below 5 gallons. Can I add some water to the secondary to bring it back up to the 5 gallon mark and then let it sit for 7 days before bottling? The kit was an AHB extract kit (Moose Drool Clone). In the past I've left the level where it was and it was usually under 5 gallons. Thanks for your reply.

Of course you can, but you'll end up with watered down beer. I'd leave it alone...unless it's a Miller Lite clone. ;)

There is always some loss to hop absorption and trub, which is why many of us scale our recipes for 5.25 or 5.5 gallons. That way we end up with the full five gallons in our kegs or bottling buckets.

You can, but as BLL said, it will be watered down. It will reduce FG, IBUs, and ABV. You can use this formula to figure out by how much and if it's something you want to live with:

C1V1 = C2V2

C = Concentration (Gravity, IBUs, or ABV)
V = Volume

Example with IBUs (e.g., 30) and having 4 gallons, adding 1 gallon of water:

30 X 4 = C2 X 5
120 / 5 = C2
C2 = 24 IBUs

Thanks for the replies. I have 4.5 gallons left and will just leave it as is. I made another batch yesterday and filled to about 5.5 gallons to make up for absorbtion. :mug:

Back