Primary to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
Every ale I have done to date I let the krausen fall, let the yeast settle, transferred to a secondary, then let sit a few weeks at normal fermenting temperatures prior to kegging. What difference will I see if I force everything to settle prior to everything settling on its own by moving my primary to my garage (45F ish), then keeping the secondary below normal fermenting temps for a few weeks??? I'm guessing I won't have any flavor effects? Will I see an improvement in clarity?

and speaking of clarity. how do I know if I've gotten a good cold break? my immersion chiller takes about a half hour to get my wort to 70F.:mug:

What you are talking about is commonly refered to as "crash cooling" Some lighter, smaller beers may benefit from this, but larger, more complex beers will need time to condition at fermenting temperatures. If you crash them to early you will be stuck with a green beer.

this is a 1.056 IPA. What will occur at 70 that won't happen at cooler temps? I've already reached my target FG of 1.010.

While fermentation is complete, the yeast are still going through and cleaning up some of the byproducts of active fermentation. This also gives time for the hops profile to mellow and meld into the beer, making it smother.

It's up to you, if you feel like your beer is where you like it, crash cool it. It will still condition while cold, but not as much and not as fast. If you feel like your beer could go for a bit more conditioning, I would sugest keeping it a t fermentation temperature for a couple weeks.

Back