Any homebrewers in Tapei? Where to find good beer in Tapei?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning a trip to visit relatives stationed in Tapei and know nothing about the area. Any homebrewers in the area who can tell me where to get a good beer while there? Any local beers that are worth trying? Need help on a brew day?

Cheers!

So this is what I have found out so far...

It was hard to find some of the bars here as they are stuck in a corner of a huge mall. Made it to Gordon Biersch and the beer was good. Had the Pilsner, the Schwarzbier, and the Marzen. Liked them all. Tried to go to Le Ble d'Or but could not find it...will try again. Found some local, small watering holes that had Carlsbad, Bud, Heineken, and a stray Belgian or two.

Best find so far was in Costco! They have a case of Gordon Biersch beers with IPA, Pale, Amber, and Lager in them for a little less than $900 NT or about $30 US.

The local Taiwan beers are pretty boring and tasteless.

Will post back if I find anything else...

The Taiwan beer gave me a headache. I usually stuck with canned heineken in Taiwan.

May have been in the time when they suposedly put formaldehyde in their beer?

Went to Le ble D'or tonight...beer was like drinking carbonated water. Real disappointment. Went to Gordon Biersch afterwards and had 3 decent beers.

http://taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=190506&CtNode=427

Ps- I lived in Taiwan for one year, let me know if you want any advice on what to do or where to go. It's a awesome place.

I had a blast in Taiwan! The beer left a LOT to be desired though. I could get bottled beers, but not much in the way of craft beer. Heineken, Bud, Corona, Taiwan beer are pretty abundant. Gordon Biersch was the closest thing to craft I found. Jolly's beers were a nice try, but tailored to a drinking segment that likes weak, tasteless beers. This is a market RIPE for a good nano or larger craft brewer! I spent time in the north, south, and middle of the island and did not drink much. Still I saw a lot of mountains, lakes, temples, and ate a lot of great food. Well worth the trip. Just don't expect a beer scene cuz it doesn't exist there!

Doh! Where were you guys a few weeks ago? Grin!! I am back in the states and did not find much "good beer" while in Taipei, Taidong, and Taicheng. I may go back this summer so thanks for the FB links! PM me if you need me to bring supplies. As long as customs allows them, I am happy to toss in an extra checked bag with grains, yeast, hops, or whatever...

Drop us some lines before your next visit. am sure some members would be more than happy to show you the "good beer" spots. Keep in touch.

I had a blast in Taiwan! The beer left a LOT to be desired though. I could get bottled beers, but not much in the way of craft beer. Heineken, Bud, Corona, Taiwan beer are pretty abundant. Gordon Biersch was the closest thing to craft I found. Jolly's beers were a nice try, but tailored to a drinking segment that likes weak, tasteless beers. This is a market RIPE for a good nano or larger craft brewer! I spent time in the north, south, and middle of the island and did not drink much. Still I saw a lot of mountains, lakes, temples, and ate a lot of great food. Well worth the trip. Just don't expect a beer scene cuz it doesn't exist there!

Glad you had a good time :mug:
Taidong is pretty tight, huh? Anyway welcome back- now go get some real beer!

Reviving this topic... While my previous trip didn't happen, I will now be there at the end of this month. Arriving Saturday morning and free up through the Dragon Boat Festival, with work Tue-Thurs. That should give ample time for exploring.

Looks like my hotel is only a 600m walk to Jolly's Brewery. Is that worth checking out? Difficult to figure out much regarding the place since I don't speak or read Mandarin!

If you are looking for good beer ontap in Taipei check out Beer and Cheese Social House they have a Facebook page.

If you need homebrew supplies check out diybeersupply.com.tw or pbcraft.com

Reviving this topic... While my previous trip didn't happen, I will now be there at the end of this month. Arriving Saturday morning and free up through the Dragon Boat Festival, with work Tue-Thurs. That should give ample time for exploring.

Looks like my hotel is only a 600m walk to Jolly's Brewery. Is that worth checking out? Difficult to figure out much regarding the place since I don't speak or read Mandarin!

Cafe Odeon is a quite fun bar with a wide selection of belgian and european bottled beers. Nothing on draft, and nothing unobtainable in the US though, and on the opposite side of town to you, by the sound of it.

I found the best beer downtown at the Gordon Biersch...not at all impressed with Jolly's. I also found that the Costco had really good beers. Other than that, Taiwan needs to work on its beer groove! Cheers and best of luck!!

As an aside, I did like the Beer & Cheese Social House when I was there last time.

Le Ble D'or was decent. Their dunkle was not bad.

After a stop at I believe the Hofbrauhaus, we ended up at Jolly's for a beer, and I wasn't impressed. But I'm sure I'll give it another try including dinner this time around.

Anyone familiar with Shenzhen? I'll be there one night this next trip, and if there's anything decent within walking distance of the Ritz Carlton, let me know...

Back