will spices settle to bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabwright

Reaction score
Recently bottled a pretty spicy beer that didn't quite have the punch that we wanted so we upped the spices some more at bottling. It appears that some of this was probably floating on top and ended up kind of melding with the cake on bottom, anyway, what did make it into the beer should just settle to the bottom with my yeasties, right? I just don't wanna get a mouthfull of floating spices. Please affirm that I am correct and tell me that next time I should probably ask this or anything else, before actually bottling it, as it cannot be undone now! Duh...and thanks!
Jill

It really depends on the spices. Certain spices that float will always float. Try using a 1-gallon paint strainer bag from Lowe's next time. Fill it with your spices, tie it off and into you beer it goes. Remove at bottling time.

Thanks. I was ok with my spices before bottling except that it just wasn't quite where we wanted it, taste wise, so I bumped up my spice profile right before bottling - to our taste and when bottling I noticed that a lot of it was floating on top and eventually ended up with the trub at the bottom. Some of the spices though are floating in my bottles and I'm hoping that they will settle to the bottom? It's pumpkin pie type spices.

Back