switching from LME to DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
Due to the new shipping limitations, I can no longer mail order LME at my location, so I'm thinking about brewing with dried malt extract.

I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done this.
- What if any differences do you notice in the end product?
- What is the ratio to use? (I know to use less DME but can't find that reference in my book)
- Any other notably differences in the brewing process?

Thanks in advance,

FSB

1. you'll get a lot of opinions on this one.

2. dme = .8lme

3. Not really, just stir hard when you add the dme as it clumps a lot.

like he said it's much easier to dissolve the liquid extract. you can stir all you want with dry some will always end up floating on the top

DME will store longer, so you can order extra then keep it in a dry cool place like any pantry item, just use a bag inside a bag or a big jar inside a bag or something like that, its very fine powder that can get messy if you're careless.

No difference in beer quality that I can report from my experiences. DME is good stuff.

I use it, although I would like to try all grain sometime. I like it except for:

1. Cost
2. It's super sticky
3. It clumps up pretty good when pouring it into a boiling kettle (steam)

Think about moving to a cheap all grain or partial mash set up. DME is expensive. If you brew a lot you could probably recoup the equipment cost pretty quickly.

Think about moving to a cheap all grain or partial mash set up. DME is expensive. If you brew a lot you could probably recoup the equipment cost pretty quickly.

Yes, I'm anxious to try all grain and even have everything I need to try the Mr. Beer 1/2 batch (I assume that post is still around and still as popular). Finding that chunk of time to actually setup and do it is the problem. I'm keeping it in reserve until the opportunity presents itself, hopefully some time soon! :)

DME brewing, here I come!

I always see people say they use LME for the price but my lhbs sells LME for 10.something for a 3.3lb can and DME is 11.59 for 3lbs. Can't really call that a price difference to care that much about.

I've never had it problems with it clumping but I pour it in slowly and stir as I poor. I'd imagine if I poured it all in at once it would be quite a mess. I also weigh it out ahead of time and put it into a large bowl, I've never poured from the bag.

I lived on Guam for almost two years. Was able to visit Australia, Philippines, Japan, Korea, etc. Was truly a paradise. 2 years almost qualifies but if I could live anywhere, it would be any location in the Pacific Rim or S.E.A.
The only drawbacks for me would be isolation from family and difficult access to brew supply. (I wonder how barley grows there?)

I don't think anyone's mentioned that DME will foam up as it reaches its first boil. A lot of people use ferm-tab or whatever, but I don't. What I've started doing when I use DME (though I've switched to grain now) is that I add the DME way before the boil starts, which helps prevent a huge boil over immediately. Also, having a fan pointed at the pot helps a lot. Another solution that I've used is to get the DME boiling in a different large pot, wait until the foam goes down, then transfer it to the main pot.

I never made up my mind which I preferred - the sticky factor with LME is a pain, but the boil-over with DME is a pain.

It's always good to have some DME on hand to make yeast starters, so order a little extra. You can also use it for bottle priming if you are out of corn sugar (happened to me last week!)

I always see people say they use LME for the price but my lhbs sells LME for 10.something for a 3.3lb can and DME is 11.59 for 3lbs. Can't really call that a price difference to care that much about.

I order LME for about $14.50 for 6lbs. 5lbs of DME would be about $20. I would like to switch to DME for ease of use but $5.50 a batch difference is pretty big.

I ALWAYS try to have a helper when using DME. I have them pour it in while I stir like a monkey on crack with a large sauce whisk. No clumping for me :)

I was at Corrados in Clifton on Tuesday, had DME for 5.99 lb, will order from Rebel Brewer for 3.10 lb.

biggest difference i know of is color. LME is (almost) always darker thane DME. So if your looking for a really light colored beer i found it best to use dme. THen there is the storage factor that another poster mentioned - DME holds up almost indefinately. I always have a large portion of DME around, helps me gt to high OGs if i loose some ponts in effieciency somewhere and its great for starters or doubling starters.

Back