I need my Wit to be done in 3 days! HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian wit with Wyeast# 3944 Belgian Witbier yeast on 7/2, the OG was 1.041. I pitched a half gallon starter and it took off like gangbusters within a few hours. Well it has been over a week and it is STILL fermenting. I checked the gravity a couple days ago and it was only at 1.021. I roused the yeast and raised the temperature, and it is still bubbling about every 3-4 seconds.

I need to have this beer kegged and ready for a party this Saturday 7/17! What can I do to finish it out? I have heard that pitching a packet of dry Nottingham yeast could finish up the fermentation. Would that work? What kind of effects would that have?

Any suggestions? :eek:

I wouldn't rush it. You'll end up serving a subpar beer.

Its somewhat odd to me that it's not done though. My house wit is only 1.050ish and it's usually done in 3 days with 3944.

Well AFTER I made this beer, I read that 3944 takes an unusually long time to ferment out. Still, you'd think a big starter on a lower OG beer would produce a little faster result.

I say just keg it and serve it. If that's what you have to do, then that's what you have to do. It may keep going, or it may be done. But if it tastes good enough to serve, then it's good enough.

Back