Oxiclean in Better Bottle Fermentor for Weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronllave

Reaction score
I have left a solution of oxiclean in my plastic Better Bottle fermentor for about 3 weeks now. Is it OK to just rinse and sanitize before using, or did the prolonged contact with oxiclean ruin it?

I don't think oxi can do much to plastics. It kills organics and oxidizes metals, but I think plastics should be OK. Others will chime in I'm sure...

You are going to have to rinse heavily to get rid of the residue (or scale) that gets left behind when you have prolonged contact with oxyclean and bottles or gear. (I do the same thing often-leave it soaking for several weeks.)

If the "scale" persists despite the rinsings, use a weak acid, like diluted starsan, vinegar, or lemon juice in water.

Why dilute the StarSan? Why not simply soak the better bottle in Star San for an hour?

Ditto for anything soaked in OxyClean. A normal strength StarSan rinse -- 1oz in 5 gallons of water -- will get rid of the OxyClean.

Am I missing something?

(Or use citric acid if you don't want to use Star San -- but we all have Star San, and religiously squeeze the little bottle to measure an ounce one or more times during a brew day, so why dilute it?)

rinse your heart out and i know peoples love for starsan if you dont have any id go with vinegar for the acid just dont leave too long cause that will leach if left for days

I was planning on rinsing and sanitizing with star-san anywayson brew day. So I will just rinse a few extra times before sanitizing and hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks!

Back