weldless ball valve question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
I really would like a ball valve on my ss pot. Problem is i don't want to spend the money and drill a hole im my pot and use a weldless ball valve and mess it up and be out a bunch of money. Has any one ever done this, do they leak, If the pot is round how do u get a tight seal. just wondering. Also if there are any spec. Like how far up from the bottom of the pot do you drill the hole thanks

I've used the ones from bargain fittings on my keggle and MLT. They work fine, no leaks so far. If you use a step drill, you can easily make the proper-sized hole. I placed mine as low on the vessel as I could while still being able to attach the fitting inside. I only have about 350 ml of deadspace in my keggle. The fittings, in particular the o-rings, conform to the rounded shape and seal everything up.

I use a step bit alot. I was more concerned about the placement and leaks and a tight snug fit. I noticed diff. sizes to any one size better than the other or just faster flow i would guess

I just went with the standard 1/2" bulkhead/ball valve from bargain fittings. I use a 1/2" quick-disconnection and 1/2" barbs in my set-up. I think 1/2" is the standard.

I use them, i have them on my sanky kegs...works great. i noticed the other day that my MT valve was restricted with grain and husk from with the mash but its easy to take off and clean when needed...

Back