Sabco Brew Magic Specs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a local manufacturer that will build me a replica of the Brew Magic system if I can find all of the specs (dimensions of fittings, plumbing, electrical). I doubt this is just out there publicly, but I'm wondering where I would start?

I've spent weeks researching RIMS,HERMS, and I've looked at enough brew rig pictures and setups to make my head spin:drunk: I've decided that if I can just "clone" the Brew Magic, then that's what I want. I know I can save money because this place will build it for free and I can buy kegs from a distributor here for $30/piece.

If you were in this position, you weren't mechanically inclined enough to design your own rig, how would you proceed?

I've pulled all the specs that are available on Sabco site, but does anyone else have more to share or ideas?? Thanks!

IF it was me, I would look at the information readily available and then alter it to fit my process/mind set. I can usually figure things out and rough design them (or get the design across to those that can make the designs) without too much difficulty.

IMO the issue with trying to clone a commercially available item (check to see if it has patents on it) is you can get into serious trouble doing so. IMO you're going to be better off designing one that incorporates features/functions you like from the other, plus has some of your own in it.

I think you need to outline your process. For example, will you gravity drain the BK to the fermentor or perhaps you want to pump through a plate chiller and recirculate. If you plan to pump the the Brew-Magic's design is needlessly high. You need a ladder to use that thing. I designed a stand similar to the Sabco but only inches from the ground. I could pull some measurements if you'd like. Basically all you needs to know are the dimensions of your kettles, comfortable work heights, and any clearance issues underneath. I don't think Sabco will come after you for a similar design however.

Similar should be safe, but an outright clone (as mentioned in the OP) and all bets are off.

I hear what you're saying. It wouldn't be exact, but enough detail for the folks building it to understand the concept of all the pieces.

I think you need to outline your process. For example, will you gravity drain the BK to the fermentor or perhaps you want to pump through a plate chiller and recirculate. If you plan to pump the the Brew-Magic's design is needlessly high. You need a ladder to use that thing. I designed a stand similar to the Sabco but only inches from the ground. I could pull some measurements if you'd like. Basically all you needs to know are the dimensions of your kettles, comfortable work heights, and any clearance issues underneath. I don't think Sabco will come after you for a similar design however.

Thanks. I would love to look at your measurements if you're willing. I guess I'm not concerned with definitely having the Brew Magic system, but I would love to find a 100% complete design with specs, for a system that someone has built that they absolutely love.

Wow. I just looked at your system. That's amazing. I would be most appreciative of any specs and tips you could share. You can PM me if it's easier or I can send you my email. Nice setup man.

Thanks. I would love to look at your measurements if you're willing. I guess I'm not concerned with definitely having the Brew Magic system, but I would love to find a 100% complete design with specs, for a system that someone has built that they absolutely love.

I have a BM and I think it's great. But if I were to build or have one built, there would be so many things I would change.

@pickles- your system is electric though huh? I didn't realize that at first. I think I want to go with gas fired. Beautiful setup though.

Would you mind sharing some of those things? LOL. It would be very helpful.:mug:

I have a pre-current version so many of these changes have already been added to the latest rendition of BM.

Wind shrouds around the burners.
Better location for the MLT valve (fvcker can get hot).
Stainless kettle pans.
Lower height to MLT.
Glass, graduated sight tubes.
Tri-Clamp heating element.
Sight glass in place of hose to MLT return.
Ability to step temps with RIMS element.
Float switch MLT return.
Smoother joinery for fewer crevices to gunk up.

That shouldnt be too much of an issue. The bottom drains won't work for you but that's about it. My measurements are very close to that of a sabco except in height. You might want to incorporate and electric RIMs like a sabco though.

If you were in this position, you weren't mechanically inclined enough to design your own rig, how would you proceed?

If you don't want to cough up the cash for the brew-magic, but don't have the know-how to build your own: I'd stick to some plans that are available online, and modify the system as you see fit. Personally if I were in your situation, i'd build a Brutus 10 (search for plans, they were in BYO, and i know they are also on HBT.) The plans are fairly easy to follow; your shop shouldn't have an issue. But I'd make the following changes

-Make the stand two-tier(ala brew magic), this removes the need for the second pump

-Just use manually controlled propane burners under the Boil kettle and Hot liquor tank. Bayou Classic SQ14 burners are usually the ones most people prefer. (To say this another way, use the same style burner the brutus uses for the boil kettle for the HLT as well)

-Don't put a burner under the Mash tun. Use a RIMS or HERMS setup to recirculate and heat the mash. Search on HBT for 'rims for dummies'. You can follow those instructions to a 'T', and have a RIMS setup just like the brew magic. For a HERMS setup, go to theelectricbrewery.com . Kal is a HBT member and has EXTREMELY detailed plans for his build

That's it. You'll have plans that the shop can use to help build the system, and you'll have a much cheaper setup that acomplishes the same goal.

Brew day will go:

-Heat strike water in HLT. There's no temperature control here, so just get it within a few degrees of your target.

-Set the PID to the exact temp you want your strike water, then pump the strike water into the MLT through the RIMS tube. It will warm the water to the exact temp you want as it transfers it.

-Dough in, then begin recirculating the mash through the RIMS tube, then back into the MLT. Set the PID to your mash temp, and that's it, the RIMS will hold your chosen mash temp as it recirculates the mash.

-Heat sparge water to 165-168* (again manual control). Stop recirculating the mash, and set the PID to 168*. Move the hoses around so you pump sparge water from the HLT, through the rims tube, into the top of the mash. The mash should drain into the boil kettle (using gravity). The PID will hold the incoming sparge water at 168*.

-Once you've collected all your wort in the boil kettle, boil away, chill, and drain into your fermenter.

Look up The electric brewery.

a great system, that can be built or bought in any level you choose.

Look up The electric brewery.

a great system, that can be built or bought in any level you choose.

While Kal's electric setup is serviceable; I don't think his stand is a suitable as a comparable design to a Brew-Magic. It's made of wood and designed for Blichmans not keggles.

I had a 10+ year old BrewMagic that needed an upgrade. I changed MANY things that I had wished that SABCO had done originally. As many have said, if you are going to make something custom, really think about features that you want.

5153-rims9-21.jpg

Latest posts

Back