carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindog

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal batch of Porter that has been bottled for 4 weeks now. The first bottle (and only) I tested had NO carbonation. I've read through most of the post about carbonation problems and I'm prepared to wait longer realizing that higher gravity can take longer. This batch is in the 6-7% range. I believe that I followed good technique when I bottled. I boiled the priming sugar in a quart of water and let it cool. Placed it in the bottom of the bucket and racked on top of it. I encouraged a swirling by keeping the tube at an angle. Just for FYI, primary fermentation was for 3 weeks. I created a started from 2 smack packs of American Ale yeast. Secondary fermentation was for 1 week.
Now like I said, I'm OK with waiting a bit longer to see what happens but my question is this. What are the options if it just doesn't carbonate?
Would the best option be to move it to a keg and force carbonate? Has anyone every done that and do you have any advice? Is it possible to re-carbonate and re-bottle?

What temp were the bottles kept at and how much corn sugar was used?

When you opened the bottle was there ANY "phtt" ?

Also, what kind of bottles? Some of the stubby ones (i.e., Sierra/Negra Modelo) can be hard to cap. They may look capped, but sometimes the cap isn't actually sealed all the way. 3 or 4 of my last batch had this problem...

Also, what kind of bottles? Some of the stubby ones (i.e., Sierra/Negra Modelo) can be hard to cap. They may look capped, but sometimes the cap isn't actually sealed all the way. 3 or 4 of my last batch had this problem...

That sucks... I just scored about 25 sierra navada bottles last week, and already cleaned them and have them ready for bottling my Amber Ale on Friday.
Is there a way other then looking at it to make sure the cap is on all the way?
Thanks,
Dave

These are brown bottles purchased from brewing store. Not recycled or used bottles. They have been kept at 70 degrees in the dark. I used 5 ounces of Priming sugar. There was no sound at all on the bottle I opened. I have not tested another bottle yet but I plan to soon. One more thing. The bottle I tested was the LAST bottle I capped. I point that out because I am allowing for the possibility that I did not have a good "mix". The next test bottle will be the first bottle I capped to see how it does. But guys.... please answer the question. Has anyone opened bottle and kegged? How did that go? Is it possible to re-prime, re-yeast and re-bottle?

I'am sure it would be possible but i would not attempt it. I
would just let the bottles sit for awhile. Like you mentioned
heavier beers take longer sometimes to carb up.

I'd check one that you bottled at the start. If it's overcarbed, then you definitely didn't mix your priming sugar well enough.

since it was your last bottle was it filled up all the way? i noticed this with my first batch. i brewed an imperial stout and they were all well carbed except for the last one that was half full.

But guys.... please answer the question. Has anyone opened bottle and kegged? How did that go? Is it possible to re-prime, re-yeast and re-bottle?

I don't keg- can't answer that, but I would just give all the bottles a gentle roll back and forth and keep waiting.

Oh, and dave- I always hold those bottles upside down for a few seconds and look for leaks- never had a problem with them that I din't catch using this method, and I have a cheap red wing capper.

Oh, and dave- I always hold those bottles upside down for a few seconds and look for leaks- never had a problem with them that I din't catch using this method, and I have a cheap red wing capper.

Cool, Thanks. I have the red capper that came with my kit. I want to get a bench capper, but I have been spending money on making more beer instead.
One of these days!
Thanks again,
Dave

Patience always seems to be the watch word here but I would think that if they really don't carb up after waiting a reasonable amount of time, the carbing tabs I hear people mention might be an option. I'm not really sure how they work but it sounds like you could carb water with them.

Heyas,

Im a noob BUT..... you could pour them into a keg while trying to keep as much oxygen out. Force carbing would take a few days, hopefully not long enough for any of the air that gets in the beer to ruin the taste. I would guess that would be your only option other then to have flat beer.

I find it very unlikely that your beer (even being a porter) will carbonate by waiting, seeing you have no carbination at 4 weeks.

Either the sugar not being mixed OR a poor seal on caps is probably your problem.

Hope this helps!

Back