Washing yeast after dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hey, all.

So, I'm about to rack a batch that I dry hopped almost two weeks ago. I haven't peeked in, so I don't know whether the hops have sunk or are still floating. If they're floating, scooping them off the top will be easy before I rack. But if they've sunk, how do I wash the yeast after I'm done racking?

I'd really like to wash this yeast, as it's bottle-harvested Bell's.

Thanks,

CB

No answer for you, other than to say next time dry hop in a secondary vessel so you won't have to deal with this next time.

Ah, ok. Well, the recipe did say to dry hop after seven days, and I like to keep my beers in the primary for at least two or three weeks. Worse comes to worse, I can just harvest out of my own bottles.

Were they leaf or pellet hops? I can't think of a reason why the yeast washing method wouldn't work. If the hops have sunk, they should fall out during the washing. Alternatively, if you used leaf hops, you could pour the yeast/water mix through a funnel with a screen.

They were leaf hops, in plugs. I was just worried about too much yeast and stuff adhering to the hops, but you're right, funneling and rinsing them should work.

Latest posts

Back