Got a turkey fryer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
So I have been gearing up to do an AG this week or next week, before I was doing partial mash's. Anyways I got this Morrone Ultimate Turkey Fryer off craigslist for 30 bucks. Looked through the manual and apparantly its rated for 170,000 BTU's, which I though was a lot since the ones I've seen at walmart were maybe 55k. It came with a 30qt aluminum pot which I think will be just big enough for full boils, so I think I will stick with it for now unless I find a reason to replace it later, who knows maybe I'll be doing 10gal batches soon.

Anyways I fired this bad boy up to test it out and I gotta say this thing scares the hell out of me. I turned it up to full blast and it is pretty loud, makes me wonder if it is safe to operate that high. It boiled the full 5 gallon bucket in about 12 minutes which was lightning fast compared to before when I was boiling on an electric stove (and that was just 2.5gallons).

Anyways I am happy with the fryer will be fun moving up to full boils.

1214_26_1.JPG

Welcome to all grain, You will never look back now. That loud sound of the propane burner is music to my ears, it means Wort is about to boil, Yum....................

30 qt. pot is pushing it. I would look into foam control as it will help a lot. If you have a smaller pot you can always boil a small amount of wort on that in the kitchen at the same time.

I've done 2 AGs in my 30qt pot and the boil is not all that fun. First you have to watch it like a hawk and I hate doing that. You'll have to modulate the heat and I'd get a new spray bottle to mist the foam down with water. Even doing that, I always have a couple of minor boil overs.

In my case, I can't get a full 5+ gallon batch because I have to throw away wort to keep the level low enough to boil and then when I use the spigot to drain the cooled wort, it leaves about 1-2 inches in the pot.

So my next purchase is a 1/2 barrel, and I'd highly recommend that to anyone else.

Mike

I second the "look for a bigger pot" thing. I do 5 gallon batches in a 7.5 gallon kettle and it's a pain in the butt. A $2 sprayer from Home Depot will do well for boilovers.

For $30 though, that's a damn good deal! Congrats on the good find, and welcome to All-grain!

I use a 30 qt pot and boil 6.75 gallons in it regularly. There is less than an inch from the top and I almost never have a boil over.

The magic ingredient...fermcap. It is a godsend. one drop in my flask for my starter and I am great. 12 drops in the boil kettle, and I get a full rolling boil without fear of a boil over.

You do want to watch the hot break carefully, but after that, it is smoth sailing. Best $6 ever.

fermcap at NB

Back