1st time force carbonating ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icu812

Reaction score
I just transfered a stout into a keg. temp is 35*. I hooked up the gas to the liquid side at about 16psi , I then shook the keg for about 1min and hit it with gas one more time and shook again. NOW my question is do I hook up the gas normally back to the gas side in? at a lower psi and then repeat 1st steps again tomorro?or leave it on the liquid side or just take the gas off completly? this is my first time kegging ,so I THANK ANYONE WITH INFO.

My process is to cool to serving temp, set to 25 psi and shake vigorusly for about a minute then remove from gas and let it settle for 3 - 4 hours. Then i bleed the pressure from the keg and hook gas back up at normal serving pressure. Its been pretty good so far.

I've always done it similar to Chello's method. Hook up the CO2, set it around 20, and shake for a minute with the gas ON. Let it sit for a while, so I can catch my breath, then shake it again, for another minute. As you shake it, you can hear the gas flowing into the keg. I would think that if you just charged it, turned the CO2 off, then shook it up, you wouldn't get much CO2 into the keg, and therefore a low carbonated brew. I guess if you were doing an ale, that might be OK. Then I would probably do it just the way Chello does it. IMO

Later

Going to keg another stout tomorrow. I will follow those methods this time, although the stout that I kegged yesterday seems good ,both taste and carbonation. I would like to hear about some more methods on this. I have 4 more stouts to keg in the next week . So just trying to get some more ideas.

there are 2 ways to force carb. you're all talking about rapid force carbing.

the other method is to set it at your serving psi, and wait 10-14 days. just because you can carb in a few days, doesn't mean the beer isn't still green and in need of some aging beyond a 2-3 week secondary.

I never use the shake method so I couldn't comment on what you've done so far. For me, I set the temp to 40 degrees and the regulator to serving pressure. I then leave it alone for a week. After 7 days it is good to go.

My beer never gets to equilibrium carbonation in a week. It actually takes about 2-3 weeks. I think it's possible to have a "good enough" carb at one week, but the head subsides really quickly. I hook up at 30psi, shake and leave it connected overnight. The next day I purge and set to 12ish. This speeds me up to good carbonation in a week. That's just my experience.

Iam going to try those methods with next ones i kegg this week. Thanks for the info , now i have some different ways to work with carbonating the next ones. I still would like to hear about some other methods that are out there.

I have tried this method with good results:

Cool beer to around 40* (I think my kegerator jumps from 20* to 40* with the slightest adjustment so I play it safe and leave it around 40)

Hook up CO2 line to the IN on keg and crank it up to 30 psi.
Gently rock keg for a few minutes...
Every time I pass kegerator I repeat for a night. (usually average 4-5 sessions)
Next night - turn down psi to 20 repeat the rocking sessions.
Next night set it at dispensing psi (usually around 5-10 psi).

I have never heard of hooking CO2 to OUT... first...

That said...I currently have my latest keg sitting at 45* with 12 psi on it...gonna wait a week before lowering psi and dispensing.

-JMW

Hooking CO2 to the out would put more CO2 into solution as it bubbled up through the beer. I've never tried it though.

I set the reg to 40 psi when I install the keg in the kegerator. Let sit for 24 hours, lower to 20, purge for 24 hours, then set the reg to 10 psi, purge and pour. I have never had a keg require more than 3 days and I did no shaking.

My CO2 lines are to short to provide me much room for shaking, besides kegs are heavy!!

Linc

WOW!

I just pured my first glass (and second...and third) last night from the keg I used the "set at 12 psi and wait a week" method.

It way the best looking glass of beer I have seen in a long time! I replaced the 3 feet of tubing that came with my kegerator with 6 feet...so that may have played a part in it...but...WOW. Perfect head, great head retention, beautiful lacing down the sides of the glass. I think I am going to have to stick with this method from now on.

-JMW :mug:

Back