Cable strain relief

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eighty2Fifty1

Reaction score
So right now I'm trying to decide whether or not to have a connector for the power in on my control panel. I'm trying to build a 50A panel, so I'd need to use the CS6375 and CS6364 combination of plug and receptacle. I'm sure you guys know how damn expensive these things are. So if I decide to hardwire my power in cable, I'd need some kind of strain relief for the cord, because obviously the connections at the power relay and so forth won't hold up on their own

So can someone point me in the right direction for a strain relief?

Those are the ones I recently used on a new build. They work awesome and look great while doing it too. I found them at Zoro Tools for a bit cheaper than Grainger though.

You can get waterproof thermoplastic cord grips even cheaper. I got mine from Mouser . Just be sure to buy the corresponding locknut.

You could alternatively hardwire a short pigtail with a male plug. That obviously would require a female plug, and the plugs will increase the cost, but it would make it easier to transport the panel. Personal preference.

Is 10/4 wire the right gauge for 50 amps and 9000 watts? For the power cord, that is.

No, 6awg would be the correct size, and there are length limits over which you would need to go larger, though not likely for a typical brewery power cord run. I think the limits are 100 feet or so, but I am not certain.

I got these ones at platt electric.

ForumRunner_20131125_211132.jpg

Back