Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I posted before that I don't really like wheat beers:drunk: . I have had several different Hefe's now (that I enjoy:ban: ) and even have Kolsch (with wheat) fermenting. I found what it is that I don't care for much is Blue Moon. Lesson learned... you should be careful about condeming a style of beer.

I used to say that I like any Bud that is cold or rolled... Funny I don't care for Bud much at all anymore. :cross:

Cheers!!! :mug:

Ó Flannagáin said:
Blue Moon is a belgian wit which uses a specific strand of yeast, so just avoid wits and you should be cool. Hefe's rock :rockin:

Actually, I heard an interview with the guy at the Coors experimental brewery that developed blue moon...they use regular old ale yeast (WLP001, 1056, etc.). They add the spice with orange and other crap.

Anyway, I agree with your point, Belgian beers and Belgian style beers have a very different taste that some people don't care for. I can drink a Belgain and say "Yup that's Belgian," but I would prefer a nice hefe or Kolsch any day.

blue moon isn't really true to the style of a belgian wit. i like it, tho. i like most wheat beers...i have a dunkelweizen in the primary right now. can't wait to keg that sucker and drink it in the desert! w00t!

Ó Flannagáin said:
I love wheat beers... all of them. Never had one I didn't like. Even american wheats are good to me.

Amen, brother. I too love the wheat. Belgian, Bavarian, American, etc...wheat can't be beat. I am about to make a Wheat with San Francisco Lager yeast & a hint of blueberry. Light on hops..hope to make it taste similar to a Sunset Wheat.

Ya, Belgian wheats have a different flavor than German ones. I love the Belgian ones but could see why others would prefer the German ones (except for Kristalweizen, bleh).

Back