$100 Free Gift Card on ANY Spike Brewing Kettle. Details Inside...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the one the personally wrote this and I guess I'll have to disagree. I wasn't trying to 'sell' anyone on SS. It really sells itself. We used to carry Al kettles back in the day but stopped because SS is superior in every way. If you take cost completely out of the picture you would never buy an Al kettle.

As for the health risks trying to scare people I don't see it like that. In an article of this subject the link to Alzheimer’s has to be brought up due to the shear magnitude of articles out there. I'm no doctor, scientist or chemist but there are plenty of articles out there that show data pointing towards both sides. I was simply trying to show it may be an issue, it may not be, but at least be aware of it and I supplied an article that goes further into detail. Personally I do not trust the cheap Chinese aluminum kettles and I personally do not use them.

If you take the cost out of comparing cars, I'd buy a ferrari every time :) but, I largely agree with you, stainless is superior in every way (except cost), and the hassles of dealing with aluminum isn't worth it. I had a cheap aluminum kettle and the metal was so soft the thing couldn't support a ball valve on a weldless bulkhead =/ Not good!

The main issue I had with the article was that you listed as a con of aluminum "possible off flavors and/or health risks". Now this may not seem like a big deal when really scrutinize it, but to a casual reader you've now made a coorelation between off flavors and health risks, which I feel is disingenuous.

If I told people unfamiliar with homebrew that homebrewed beer may 'possibly taste funny and/or make you sick' most people would probably shy away from it. Now if I said the cons of homebrew is that it 'may contain off flavors', and that there are rumors and unfounded claims of illness from consuming homebrew beer, people may be a bit more eager to try it ya?

I never mentioned anything about Chinese aluminum kettles, and again this seems like a tactic to discredit aluminum kettles as a whole. There was just recently a batch of stainless kegs from china that were deemed not food safe. The issue there seems more who they're sourced from then what they're made out of (I'm sure there is plenty of reputable and safe aluminum (and stainless) cookware coming from china)

Aluminum cookware and health risks is indeed a hot topic, and I think its fair for it to be covered, but I don't think it should be listed as a con.

If you take the cost out of comparing cars, I'd buy a ferrari every time :) but, I largely agree with you, stainless is superior in every way (except cost), and the hassles of dealing with aluminum isn't worth it. I had a cheap aluminum kettle and the metal was so soft the thing couldn't support a ball valve on a weldless bulkhead =/ Not good!

The main issue I had with the article was that you listed as a con of aluminum "possible off flavors and/or health risks". Now this may not seem like a big deal when really scrutinize it, but to a casual reader you've now made a coorelation between off flavors and health risks, which I feel is disingenuous.

If I told people unfamiliar with homebrew that homebrewed beer may 'possibly taste funny and/or make you sick' most people would probably shy away from it. Now if I said the cons of homebrew is that it 'may contain off flavors', and that there are rumors and unfounded claims of illness from consuming homebrew beer, people may be a bit more eager to try it ya?

I never mentioned anything about Chinese aluminum kettles, and again this seems like a tactic to discredit aluminum kettles as a whole. There was just recently a batch of stainless kegs from china that were deemed not food safe. The issue there seems more who they're sourced from then what they're made out of (I'm sure there is plenty of reputable and safe aluminum (and stainless) cookware coming from china)

Aluminum cookware and health risks is indeed a hot topic, and I think its fair for it to be covered, but I don't think it should be listed as a con.

Without getting the thread more off topic I'll agree to disagree :mug:

Back