Hurricane Sandy...Is my yeast still Good??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patthebrewer

Reaction score
I live five miles from the coast in central NJ:(. Hurricane Sandy knocked out power for 8 days for us. I have a vial of whitelabs american lager yeast that I was going to brew the week of the hurricane. I was stored in my fridge which was gen. powered. I obviously couldn't leave the genny running at night (those things grow legs at night!!!) so for a period of eight days the temp in the fridge would rise to 55 degrees by morning, and then cool again in the daytime with the genny running. I hate to throw it out, but I also hate to brew a lager only to find out 8 weeks later that it was in vain.......What to you think should I use it or chuck it:confused:?

Heat up some dme and let it cool. Add it to a jar with the yeast. Shake it or put it on a stir plate. If the color changes to light brown and you see tiny bubbles after three days then your yeast is good. You should be making a starter for lager yeast anyway. My guess is it is still good.

I'm up in rockland county ny. Definitely feeling for everyone down your way. I agree w the previous post of making a starter. You should be fine though- probably just lost a little viability with the temp swings.

I often have yeast that gets much warmer than 55 during shipping and never have any issues. Hope you and those you know made out ok after the storm!

Back