Cleaning nylon bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novalou

Reaction score
Ok, I've done some fruit wines, now my nylon bag is stained from blue berries and plums.

Any tips on cleaning between uses? How many uses before I should pitch it?

I wash mine in the washing machine with a bit of oxyclean free. I use 'em till they develop a hole or a snag or start to fray too much, then I replace 'em.
Regards, GF.

Mine is orange from Pumpkin but it doesn't smell like it. Just stained and will probably stain another color later. Just wash in the sink and I tried sanitizer after. Should be good though.

Mine are all sitting outside, in five gallon buckets, letting Iaasic do the work. Then just throw them in the washing machine with a little oxyclean, or hydrogen peroxide.

Hopefully you are staying dry Annie, you are about 50 miles closer to the eye than I am.

I do a bleach soak and a good rinsing.

Bag will be pure white and look like new.

Hopefully you are staying dry Annie, you are about 50 miles closer to the eye than I am.

Thanks, Brother. We aren't too dry here, but hey, it is...what it is. Mother Nature affects MANY things...my wine making isn't one of them!!!:cross: Hope you are dry and safe also!

Would i be able to use a old pillow case to do the same job as a nylon bag ?

andyn11 said:
Would i be able to use a old pillow case to do the same job as a nylon bag ?

The nylon bag was only a few bucks. For that amount why would you use something you used to rest your sweaty head on?

I would be wordied about a buildup of detergent in it getting into my wine . Mmmmmm....... Blueberry with a hint of tide

I would be wordied about a buildup of detergent in it getting into my wine . Mmmmmm....... Blueberry with a hint of tide

No, that doesn't happen. Of course, my washing machine has a "rinse" cycle. :D

I rinse my mesh bags, then toss them in the laundry inside out. I've been doing it for years and years. It works great.

Mine are all stained green from hops. I typically just hand wash mine with a bit of dish soap. They don't have any smell at all.

I'm sure you could boil It as well, I've never used a pulp bag for brewing but I make my own almond milk, and to clean The nut milk bag, I rinse off the pulp, I boil it for five or ten minutes, then I stick it In the dehydrator and ziplock it. Seems like a lot of work for almond milk, but it so much better then store bought.

Rinse with hose spray nozzle... then soak for a few hours in PBW... rinse again.

Dry

Agent44. Could You please share your recipie for almound milk??? I have not found one that is even drinkable, and would prefure to make my own instead of buying it! Thanks!!
Jen

Yooper said:
No, that doesn't happen. Of course, my washing machine has a "rinse" cycle. :D

I just assumed that since it left a scent behind it was leaving others stuff, but since you have no effects I guess thats one less thing for me to worry about :)

I just assumed that since it left a scent behind it was leaving others stuff, but since you have no effects I guess thats one less thing for me to worry about :)

It might- but I use "unscented" laundry soap and haven't noticed it at all. Now I have to go sniff my bags just to make sure. :drunk:

Agent44. Could You please share your recipie for almound milk??? I have not found one that is even drinkable, and would prefure to make my own instead of buying it! Thanks!!
Jen

Yes! For sure, I take a cup of raw almonds and soak them over night, this is important because it sprouts them....there is no sprout, but they do swell up twice as big, then you blend them in 5-6 cups of water and half a cup of medjool dates ( pick out the seeds ) use less if you like a less sweet milk and a pinch of salt. I usually split the batch into two blender loads to fully blend them up. Then pour the pulp into a nut milk bag, check your local health food store, it looks like a cloth bag, it may be the same as a cheese making bag, I'm not sure. And strain it out. I also take the pulp and dehydrate it and grind it up to add to cookie dough or pancake batter it's really good.

You can also flavour it, add chai spices, cinnamon, cocoa powder, vanilla, berries... You get the idea, it's great.

Agent44, Just printed off your recipe for almond milk...THANK YOU. I usually buy it to use for baking, and I can never use it all before it expires. This is perfect!!!

Back