CO2 refills in Chicago - RANT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish1225

Reaction score
Hey all,

Feel free to comment or offer guidance, but I"m going on a rant here lol

Why can't I find a decent place to refill my CO2? I live in Oak Park (just west of Chicago) and cannot find ANYWHERE to refill my tank nearby. I've tried local Sports Authorities, Dick's Sporting Goods, there aren't any paintball shops nearby, etc...

I've gotten it filled once or twice (that's all I've needed it filled since I purchased it) at a paintball shop out in Aurora, but I'm not making that drive when I need gas, that's FAR!

And I had a great time at Sports Authority last week... I first tried the one in Riverside, they said they were out of CO2 and didn't know when it would be back in. That's fine, so I went out to Lombard/Yorktown to try the Dick's Sporting Goods and Sports Authority out there (and then I could get lunch with my girlfriend, had to play the "good boyfriend card"). The Sports Authority there has a unique fellow working the service department and tells me they can't fill my tank, they only do small paintball tanks. He then started showing me how paintball tanks have that push-pin valve on them and it wouldn't work with my tank. I then said they have the same threadings and my tank doesn't have a push-pin valve because it has a friggin' valve on the top that you turn! He didn't like me, I don't like him.

Then I tried Dick's. I ask if they can refill my tank, they say "sure, how big is it?", I say "5 lb.", they say "oh no, we can't do that, we only go in ounces", and I say "how about 80 ounces, can you refill that?". Needless to say, that didn't go over well.

Here's the point lol - where do you near-westside Chicago people get your CO2? I was going to try calling Praxair out in Hillside and see how things are over there. But their hours are NOT convenient and it's not as close-by as I would like.

I'm not from Chicago but I'd look for a welding supply store or look for a place like airgas. Someone has to supply co2 to restaurants, you could always ask a manager at one. I'd also call ahead.

I've "only" been looking at paintball places because places like Airgas and Praxair are open 9-5 and I have a job I need to keep lol. Sporting goods stores are open evenings, paintball places, the same.

I'll have to look and see if there are any Airgas locations near work for me, there weren't any Praxair locations.

If you want to be a really good boyfriend take your GF out to eat downtown and check out NFC on N. Leavitt, just south of Clybourn Ave. $20 will exchange/refill your tank in less than 5 minutes. Great people too.

http://www.nfccompany.com/

Thanks, Hawks, not a terrible location, might have to wait until the weekend.

Thanks again everyone!

No problem. I think they're open until 3pm on Saturdays but you'd have to check. Just don't get all nervous about the door not having windows... they will let you go eventually.

FYI most welding/fire extinguisher places are open at 6 or 7AM, I was able to go before work. Or else see if you can run somewhere during lunch break?

I've "only" been looking at paintball places because places like Airgas and Praxair are open 9-5 and I have a job I need to keep lol. Sporting goods stores are open evenings, paintball places, the same.

Many welding supply places open early, 7 or 8a, for the specific reason of catering to welders headed out on a job.

Myself I go to Airgas (here in SC), I do a CO2 run at lunchtime.

MC

I went to NFC to get my Nitrogen/CO2 tank filled. Good price, and they were fast. Since it was around Lunch time, and It was fairly close, I swung by Revolution Brewing for a Beer and their Tour.
Airgas wouldn't touch my tank because they considered it a Medical Tank. For regular CO2, I have used Illinois Fire and Safety in Addison, but they are 8-5 M-F.

Go to City Carbonic in Brookfield.

9100 Plainfield Rd # 9
Brookfield, IL 60513
(708) 485-3007

I always go to these guys. I just got a 10# refill for $15.00

I am from Chicago and actually work in Oak Park. I don't know which LHBS you're going to, but Brew & Grow on Morgan (east of Racine, just south of Madison St.) has a tank swap program. If you have a 5 lb aluminum tank they will swap it out for a full one for ~$15 (it's been a couple weeks, can't remember exactly). From Oak Park it takes only about 15 minutes in on the Ike. Jump off at Racine and it's all of another three minutes.

http://www.brewandgrow.com/brew/retail-locations

PM me if you're ever interested in a beer swap.

If you want to be a really good boyfriend take your GF out to eat downtown and check out NFC on N. Leavitt, just south of Clybourn Ave. $20 will exchange/refill your tank in less than 5 minutes. Great people too.

http://www.nfccompany.com/

OMG, that place is literally right around the corner from my old apt. I must've driven by it hundreds of times and never spotted it. Thanks, HawksBrewer, I'm crazy happy now to find that place and they do kegerator repair too. Looks like I'm going to have to revive the idea of stealing my fraternity's old broken kegerator and getting that sucker running again. Kudos :rockin:

That is where I have gotten mine swapped as well. I am coming to really like Brew and Grow. Cheers!

Is there any place in Chicago to get cheaper CO2 tanks than the $90 it costs at Brew & Grow for a small 5lb.?

I concur with all the praise for NFC on Leavitt. They are awesome, fast, and friendly. I'm usually in and out in 5 minutes. It's in a very unassuming building, orange brick and gray security door, but ring the bell and walk in if the door isn't already propped open. Good place for keg parts and soda syrups too.

I think they'll fill any tank up to 20# for $20, paintball tanks for $10 unless it's Halloween or similar "troublemaking" holidays.

I concur with all the praise for NFC on Leavitt. They are awesome, fast, and friendly. I'm usually in and out in 5 minutes. It's in a very unassuming building, orange brick and gray security door, but ring the bell and walk in if the door isn't already propped open. Good place for keg parts and soda syrups too.

I think they'll fill any tank up to 20# for $20, paintball tanks for $10 unless it's Halloween or similar "troublemaking" holidays.

D'you know off hand what their cost for a 20# tank is to buy new/used and/or their keg part prices?

Your best bet is to find one on craigslist and just have them swap it

When I lived in the city used nfc too, great place. But I can also suggest airgas. There are few of those around.

Just a note: City Carbonic is no longer in the Brookfield location.. they are now way up north.. Hickoryville or suchlike..

For anyone who used to refill their cylinders at City Carbonic in Brookfield, it has moved to Hickory Hills. The new place is much easier to find as well.

City Carbonic
7709 W 98th St
Hickory Hills, IL 60457

ETA: Crap , cyclogenesis already wrote this 3 months ago.

Latest posts

Back