My "Negra Modelo" try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it needs the malto dextrin. It seems thin bodied beer to me.

Some would say not to use the dark extract. It will probably work fine for color. I don't think you need chocolate malt with it. Just use it.

Make sure to step the Vienna around 150F to get to convert.

I don't think it will be like Negra Modelo. It will be more malty and not as dry.

I thought Negra Modelo had some corn in it but I'm not sure. I'm not sure what's in those extracts so I can't really help there. I would expect an AG recipe to be mostly Vienna malt with a little crystal (around 60L), 1-1.5 lb flaked corn, and a little Carafa Special (dehusked) or Sinamar for color.

I have an all grain recipe for Negra Modelo that is dead on, but I don't have access to it right now. I can tell you that there is no corn in it but there is some chocolate.

I was under the impression that Negra Modelo was a Mexican variant of a Vienna Lager. It's been many years since I've tried one, so I could be wrong.

TB
That's correct. IIRC, there was a number of immigrants after WWII and they settled in Mexico and started brewing there.

I wish I could find it but I would swear there was an adjunct in there and I thought it was corn.

Corn in beer is normal in North American even before the Germans started brewing here. I'd bet it's at least 20% corn, a base of higher kiln Vienna-like 6-row with some medium crystal and de-bittered black malt. IMO the recipe here is a Schwarzbier. I like schwarzbeir more.

I thought I read on beer advocate that they classified it as Munich Dunkel. As for zee Germans putting corn in their beer, I agree, you gotta brew with what you got. If I am hungry and I want a steak but all there is to eat is McDonalds, then guess what, it's Big Mac tonight!

I don't really think so. The reinheitsgebot was about food not beer quality. A good brewer knew that. Because of the local ingredients using corn made the beer better, saved time and money. I'd think they were glad to be rid of it.

Hey BJA I would love to see that recipe that you said was dead on if you wouldn't mind sharing it..
:mug:

8 lbs. Pilsner
1-1/2 lbs. Vienna
2 oz. chocolate
3/4 oz. Hallertau @90
3/4 oz. Tettnanger @90
1/2 oz. Tettnanger @10
(adjust bittering hops for 27 IBU)
Bavarian lager yeast

I subbed WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast for the Bavarian. It just seemed more appropriate.

Back