Fermentation but no air bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckmate1977

Reaction score
I am using a glass carboy and standard airlock. Mashed at 160 for an hour... I have a 1.070 IPA that kicked off strong on the fermentation front. I used two smack packs of 1056 and within 8 hours this thing took off like a rocket.. rapid bubble action, however within 24 hours the air bubbles stopped.. i can still see plenty of fermentation action in the carboy, swirling wort.. and there is a nice layer of krausen on top.. so clearly fermentation has not stopped.. any idea why there isn't any air being produced?

Airlock activity is not the best gauge for fermentation. Swirling wort... and a nice layer of krausen on top are better indicators.

The lack of airlock activity just means the yeast have not produced enough CO2 pressure requiring a it to vent with a bubble going out the airlock, or there is an air leak in the bung or airlock fittings.

thanks 509inc.. that was my take as well.. someone suggested that i may not have enough liquid in the air lock.. so i just put more in and ....voila.. it's bubbling again.. life is good...

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted..

Latest posts

Back