Ah, the joys of a double batch day! (my mistakes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I had a “kit-extract only” brew buddy over on Sunday to show him my BIAB (wheat ale) and partial grain (steam ale) setups on Sunday…perhaps I had too many homebrews in me while planning this, and we had too many homebrews in us during the session (at least for the BIAB)…:drunk:

Realized I did not have enough grains for the BIAB so had to bastardize it by adding some extract after steeping.

Melted a portion of the nylon steeping bag to the bottom of my kettle raising temp to 170* after steeping at 154* for an hour…no burned or plastic taste so kept on…(first time in three batches of BIAB but note to self…put a screen at the bottom, no matter how careful you think you are with the bag, to keep it OFF the bottom)…

Lost grains to the kettle through the hole pulling the bag but did not think I lost THAT much…said screw it (again, didn’t think I lost that much) and kept on keeping on… (in hindsight I should have stopped there, filtered, and returned the liquids to the kettle since it was only pre-boil).

Dropped first hop addition all over the garage floor (no big deal as it was during the boil).

Killed heat after the boil and ¼ way through chilling, found the second addition hops sitting on the table and so tossed it in during the chill down (wort was still very hot and not a big deal really, I’ll probably get better aroma…).

Attempted to transfer to a carboy via the ½” pick-up tube/valve on the kettle…yea, ½” tube AND NOTHING! Blasted back into the kettle with CO2 six times to finally clear it…PITA worrying about sanitation the whole time.

Clogged again half way through…did I mention you could now see the kettle was ¼ full of grains and hot break (yep, I boiled up a bunch of grains - can’t wait to taste the astringency in this one)!

Had to scoop out the remainder and filter into the carboy…of course I had to first sanitize a scoop and the filter because I did not expect this…again worrying about sanitation the whole time.

Once done, realized I was two gallons short (I accounted for the grains but jeezus, not a whole two gallons with the boil off)…had the two gallons of spring water to top off but no more…would have liked to add another ½ gallon or more just for kicks and wasn’t using tap water.

Once everything settled out…the carboy is like ½ FULL WITH GRAINS AND TRUB - S#!T!!!

Good news is the yeasties took off within 4 hours and it is still burping nicely today!!! :D

Oh yea, forgot to take an OG. :eek:

I’ll be lucky to get 3 gallons out of this when I transfer off the grains/trub this weekend…normally I’d let sit four weeks and keg but I believe I need to get the beer off this cake sooner than later.

I’m sure I’ll have a few more laughs for you when the autosiphon fouls up and I can only get 2.5 gallons out of it!

I’m not looking forward to the taste test during transfer…but, I’ve been surprised before and this might actually turn out to be a great batch!

Now just need a good name…WTF “Wheat That Failed” Wheat?

I’ll keep you posted. Cheers.

Fermenting ON THE GRAINS?????

Sorry, you lost me at melted plastic in the mash...........

Hmmmmm, I would like to say that it will be beer.......I guess I will.......

Thanks for the laugh! I can't wait until my husband gets home...I have to show him that we are not the only ones who embark on a constructive brewing afternoon and end up with a colossal set of issues!!

Wow, that sounds like you guys definitely drank too much while brewing LOL. I have to admit though... I've forgotten like three times already to take an OG reading. I get to the end and I aerate then pitch and go, "Aaaah ****!!!! I forgot again!!". At least so far everything has been *spot on* with using Beersmith. All my OG and FG readings are always right on the money. So I don't fret too much since I have a very good idea what the ABV is and such. But man, I gotta quit forgetting that haha.

Rev.

Thanks for the laugh! I can't wait until my husband gets home...I have to show him that we are not the only ones who embark on a constructive brewing afternoon and end up with a colossal set of issues!!

:off:

Hey Attleboro, used to live there...Dorchester Ave on the Norton line!! Glad I amuse you (Goodfella's rerun last night)!!! :mug:

Fermenting ON THE GRAINS?????

Sorry, you lost me at melted plastic in the mash...........

Hmmmmm, I would like to say that it will be beer.......I guess I will.......

Why so bitter?

You had me worried about the grains and so I sampled after work today when I removed the blow off and tossed on the air lock....weak flavor (suprising), not bad, no strong off tastes, certainly not astringent (lucky me)!

A tiny bit of nylon that volatilzed off during the boil...lost you there, really?

Oh well, can't please everyone.

Cheers.

Ahh yeah I enjoy drinking and brewing as well.. two or three times now I have forgotten to close the spigot on the siphonless fermentor and lost about a beer or so on the kitchen floor. Twice I forgot to take an OG and once I dropped and broke the hydrometer right as I was about to take it. So far everything has turned out ok though! :mug:

Now just need a good name…WTF “Wheat That Failed” Wheat?

At the very least the name will be a winner.

I kinda feel bad saying 'great story'. But that was entertaining. Did I miss the Steam Ale part? Hopefully you did it before the WTF?

Sorry! I hope it will be good beer, and it might., grains are usually filtered out painstakingly to get even the dust. I have never heard of a gallon of grains in the fermenter, but they were boiled.

It may be a bizarre decoction of sorts. I hope it turns out well, but your post is SOOO long 90% of people won't read it all.

sorry, it did lose me.

I have had my share of brew day mistakes and I can definitely relate to your story. Hope it works out. It was a tragic comedy to read but I almost laughed beer out of my nose. Thanks for posting so we can laugh together about it.

Woodstone: you were close enough to have a homebrew with! I'm actually in Norton on the Attleboro line, but for some reason more folks know where Attleboro is than Norton. My longstanding joke is that the official town name for Norton is "WheretheheckisNorton."

Back