1/2" vs 3/8" Copper for Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTwo

Reaction score
Using my limited math skills, I figure that using 1/2" copper for a wort chiller gives you about a 40% surface area increase. This has got to translate to quicker chilling.

Question: is it worth the extra cost to get the larger diameter copper? Anybody have any experience using both that they'd like to share?

Thx
-K2

Let me put it this way. I have two chillers. One is 3/8"OD x 40 feet and the other is 1/2"OD x 25' and they cool about the same. Whirlpool'd the wort, 60dF tap through the coil, both took about 5 minutes to get under 90. By the way, I have a 1/2" x 25' chiller forsale for $39 plus shipping which is probably cheaper than any raw goods you'll find.

beer4breakfast -

Don't ask me why I didn't find your original post when I searched - would have answered my question.

So 1/2" vs 3/8" question is answered. Now I'll just have to see if I can put one together for less than one would cost me at my LHBS.

Thx
-K2

Bobby_M said:
By the way, I have a 1/2" x 25' chiller forsale for $39 plus shipping which is probably cheaper than any raw goods you'll find.

Call Dibbs!

It's funny how one's opinion/views can change over time. I read the original post the beer4 posted and on that thread I suggested a double coil design. That was before i tried whirlpooling the wort prior to cooling. Man, it makes a serious difference. It cuts cooling time down by about 200%.

Back