How much will 1 lb of pale malt extract (liquid) raise your gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what is the gravity of the wort prior to the 1lb or Liquid you plan to add... You still need to boil that LME though in the wort you can't just add it... Well Actually i suppose you could but I;ve never done it

liquid extract is usually 1.038 points per pound per gallon (ppg)

so, 1 pound in 1 gallon will give 1.038 (1.038 *(1/1)). 1 pound in 6 gallons will give (38 *(1/6)) = 6.333 or 1.006

dry extract is usually 1.045 ppg.

Im asking because im planning on doing my first solo all grain batch this weekend and I wanted to keep a few lbs of malt extract around just incase my efficiency ends up being lower than expected. So if my boil gravity turns out to be 1.035 and I want it to be near 1.055, I can add some malt extract to bring the gravity up. According to the last post, I would need to add about 3lbs of extract.

lots. i put in a cupful and raised my gravity to 1108 or so. I have to do though cause I still do not have a wort cooler.

you be more specific, because that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

you put one cap full of LME into what, 5 gallons? and it went from 1.078 to 1.108?

what does cooling have to do with anything we're talking about?

you be more specific, because that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

you put one cap full of LME into what, 5 gallons? and it went from 1.078 to 1.108?

what does cooling have to do with anything we're talking about?

chill moto. it says cup not cap.

You didn't ask how big the cup was!
9246387_1.jpg

Back