Wheat beer. Protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pksmitty

Reaction score
I am going to brew the raspberry wheat found here. equal parts belgian pilsner and malted wheat, plus some flaked rye.

Should I do a protein rest? I'm thinking around 120 - 125 for 15-20 minutes, then raise the temp to 150 - 155 for the rest of the hour. Does this sound right, or is it not necessary?

OK. If I do the protein rest, do I need to mash for an additional hour, or is an hour enough for protein rest and mash combined?

Depends what you are mashing at. I usually only mash for a half hour or so, but with wheats and low mash temps I go longer. Long enough for conversion but sometimes I will just let her sit for 90 minutes. Just mashed a Patersbier (all pils malt) at 147 for 90 minutes b/c I didn't bother with checking for conversion as time was not an issue. Looks like the recipe is suggesting 145 as a mash temp. I would go 90 minutes with that and make sure you are keeping the temp at 145 by adding quarts of boiling water to keep the temp up. That is if you do not have a direct fired tun.

Back