Little Giant 2-MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
I would like to know what you think about this pump as I have the chance of picking one of these up for about $60.

Is this a good pump to use for homebrewing?

I don't think anyone has reported their experience with the 2-MD from a heat compatibility perspective. It's rated at 150F, which is a cover your ass type of thing. The horsepower is 1/25 just like the March 809 so performance should be close.

I would like to know what you think about this pump as I have the chance of picking one of these up for about $60.

Is this a good pump to use for homebrewing?

I have two of the 3-MD-HT-HC pumps and have had zero problems. One is dedicated for pumping out of the kettle through a cfc at boiling. The components in the 3-MD-HC are Ryton, the o-ring is Viton and the shaft/thrust washers are Ceramic. The 2-MD are Glass-filled polypropylene, the o-ring is nitrile and the shaft/thrust washers are Titanium. See below.

Based on the components of the 3-MD-HT-HC pumps, they can handle more than boiling. I'm not sure the specific 2-MD model you are looking at though.

2-MD stats are

PRODUCT CHARACTERISTICS
Motor..................................1/30 HP Open FCRPM580002......................3100580012......................2700/3000Maximum flow rate..............8.2GPMMaximum Head....................14.75’Intermittent Liquid Temp.......150ÞFSpecific gravity....................1.1Intake..................................1/2” FNPTDischarge............................1/2” MNPTMagnet Housing..................Glass-filled polypropyleneVolute..................................Glass-filled polypropyleneImpeller Assembly................Glass-filled polypropylene &Ceramagnet “A” (Barium Ferrite)O-ring..................................Buna-N®(Nitrile)Thrust washers....................TitaniumShaft....................................TitaniumWeight (lbs.)........................6.25Electrical580002....................115V, 60Hz, 1.5 amps, 100 watts, 1PH 6’ power cord, 3-prong plug.580012....................230V, 50/60Hz, .65/.64 amps,105/100 watts, 1PH 6’ power cord, no plug.580098....................Pump head less motor.

2MD-HC:

Motor..................................1/30 HP Open FCRPM580603......................3100580613......................2700/3000Maximum flow rate ..............8.5GPMMaximum Head ..................14.6’Intermittent Liquid Temp.......200ÞFSpecific gravity....................1.1Intake..................................1/2” FNPTDischarge............................1/2” MNPTMagnet Housing..................Glass-filled PolyphenyleneSulfide (e.g. Ryton®)Volute..................................Glass-filled PolyphenyleneSulfide (e.g. Ryton®)Impeller Assembly................Glass-filled PolyphenyleneSulfide (e.g. Ryton®)w/carbon bushingO-ring..................................Viton®Thrust washers....................CeramicShaft..................................CeramicWeight (lbs.)........................7.0Electrical580603....................115V, 60Hz, 1.7 amps, 131 watts, 1PH 6’ power cord, 3-prong plug.580613....................230V, 50-60Hz, .65/.64 amps,105/100 watts, 1PH 6’ power cord, no plug.580698....................Pump head less motor.

3-MD-HT-HC:

PRODUCT CHARACTERISTICSMotor..................................1/25 HP Open FCRPM..................................3100Maximum flow rate..............8.5GPMMaximum Head....................16.2’Intermittent Liquid Temp. ....200ÞFSpecific gravity....................1.1Intake..................................1/2” MNPTDischarge............................1/2” MNPTMagnet Housing..................Glass-filled PolyphenyleneSulfide (e.g. Ryton®)Volute..................................Glass-filled PolyphenyleneSulfide (e.g. Ryton®)Impeller Assembly................Glass-filled PolyphenyleneSulfide (e.g. Ryton®)w/carbon bushingO-ring..................................Viton®Thrust washers....................CeramicShaft....................................CeramicWeight (lbs.) ......................6.5Electrical578603....................115V, 50/60Hz, 1.3 amps, 94 watts, 1PH 6’ power cord, 3-prong plug.578697....................Pump head less motor, w/o base.578698....................Pump head less motor, w/base.

I just got one on eBay and am planning on using it in my Countertop Brutus setup. I won't be using it to pump boiling wort at this time as I'll be using an immersion chiller.

The maiden voyage is at the end of March. I will likely post a brewday post.

Back