Coleman extreme cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
I am shopping for a cooler to use as a MLT. I plan on using a SS braid and batch sparging. Has anyone ever used this cooler? It has very high reviews for "staying cold." One would think that it would hold warmth for a mash as well. I will probably need to go to the store and make sure fly that the SS braid will work for this cooler as well. Is there anything else I should check in the store to make sure that this will work well?

I have heard that the SS braid needs to be on the very bottom of the cooler so that that there isn't wort below it during lautering. I feel like this would be crucial for fly sparging but not necessarily true for batch sparging...what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

That's what I have, except mine has wheels and I use a copper manifold. I would highly recommend it as a mash tun.

Thanks guys! I did a little more research and change my search terms and found a good thread to look at as well. I think I will definitely get this one. Huge cooler for super cheap.

Eric

I've got the same one - but with a built in radio :)

It works well & I also do batch sparging with a braid. It does keep mash temps for 60-90 mins. within 1 degree in my experience. My braid just lays loose on the bottom. There is a slight trough built into it for the drain, but I just tip my one end up with a 2x4 to tilt the cooler when draining.

Mine has warped a little bit from heat, but it still works, just a little tap or two to close the lid down tight.

I have the same one too. Most I've ever lost was 1*F in an hour, then again I've only been using it in summer months so far.

I'd also note that I dropped it a story and a half (empty) from the railing on my deck to a brick patio below. The lid hinges busted, so the lid flew off, but the rest of the cooler didn't even show a dent. ;)

Guys, I have to admit I commited a cardinal HBT sin...I didn't research enough before I posted. However, everybody who gave input actually provided new info from everything I found after further research. You guys rock!

Eric

I just got this 52. I've only brewed 22 gallons in it.

P1010434.jpg

I like how the drain is low and there is no need for a dip tube with a braid. Some people put braids on bulkheads an inch or two above the bottom making a very large dead space. Bigger coolers will have more dead space.

Back