Micro Brewery - First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a Great Canadain Homebrew Co. Micro brewery for $20 at a garage sale still sealed up and never used... I was so excited to make my first batch of beer I just blindly followed the instructions listed... i sanitized with bleach(1/2 tbsp / 12L water), some items were only in the bleach water for 1 minute, others for 1 hour... and quickly rinsed everything ( for like 10 seconds ) and then just threw the yeast in with cold tapwater. The instructions were not specific on these things, so I didn't assmume there were any time limits for sanitation and rinsing, and I didn't read anything about starting the yeast off in warm water for 15 minutes. Did I just waste my first batch, or will it turn out not too too bad?

Buz

Should be ok. The most likely problem is the age of the yeast. If it doesn't form a krausen (scummy foam layer on top) in two or three days, get a fresh packet of yeast and toss it in.

Back