Adding priming sugar to kegging??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
So I got a new kit this weekend and it has a little note that if im kegging to only add about 1/3 of the priming sugar. Is there a reason for this? I thought one of the perks of kegging was that you didnt have to use priming sugar.

So I got a new kit this weekend and it has a little note that if im kegging to only add about 1/3 of the priming sugar. Is there a reason for this? I thought one of the perks of kegging was that you didnt have to use priming sugar.

You don't have to use the priming sugar, but you can if you want to. Many people force carb, and don't use the sugar. Some like to use the sugar, and leave the keg at room temperature, so that it carbs up while it's conditioning and waiting for its turn in the kegerator.

Force carbing is pretty easy and convenient, and you will probably have less sediment in the bottom of the keg. Priming is easy and convenient, too, though. The keg will just carb up like a great big bottle, so that when you go to put it in the kegerator, it's ready. Either choice is fine.

You don't have to use the priming sugar, but you can if you want to. Many people force carb, and don't use the sugar. Some like to use the sugar, and leave the keg at room temperature, so that it carbs up while it's conditioning and waiting for its turn in the kegerator.

Force carbing is pretty easy and convenient, and you will probably have less sediment in the bottom of the keg. Priming is easy and convenient, too, though. The keg will just carb up like a great big bottle, so that when you go to put it in the kegerator, it's ready. Either choice is fine.
'

Ok cool, I have only kegged once and they way I did it was to just hook the beer up to the CO2 and set it and forget it method. This works right? I mean I have tried my beer after a week and it seems to be carbed but another week would make it better I believe. I think im doing it right I just need the yeah your doing it right statement.:D

'

Ok cool, I have only kegged once and they way I did it was to just hook the beer up to the CO2 and set it and forget it method. This works right? I mean I have tried my beer after a week and it seems to be carbed but another week would make it better I believe. I think im doing it right I just need the yeah your doing it right statement.:D

Yeah, you are doing it right.

At standard pressures it takes about two weeks to reach adequate carbonation (give or take a few days). Some people have methods for speeding up the process, but it takes more intervention. Screw it up like I did recently and you have beer flavored foam and it takes repeated pour, settle, and pour cycles to get a glass of beer.

Yeah, you are doing it right.

At standard pressures it takes about two weeks to reach adequate carbonation (give or take a few days). Some people have methods for speeding up the process, but it takes more intervention. Screw it up like I did recently and you have beer flavored foam and it takes repeated pour, settle, and pour cycles to get a glass of beer.
When I "screw it up" I disconnect the gas line shake the keg and vent. After a couple rounds of this, try a pour. Repeat if necessary.

Back