Steak sauce smell from starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else has had a smell of A1 steak sauce coming from a starter. Last time, I used a little of the old starter to innoculate a new starter. It didn't seem to make a krausen, but there were little bubbles coming through the liquid, so I took a smell. It was just like steak sauce. I threw it out since I figured steak sauce smells a little like vinegar, and vinegar means bacteria. The starter was extra stout wort. Anyway, just wondering.

I like A1 im not gonna lie sometimes Ill take a sqig out of the bottle. I also enjoy worcestire sauce as well.

Vitamin B, vegemite, soy sauce, beef.... I've had weizen bocks that taste like Asian beef stir fry to me.

To answer your question... No, hasn't happened too me, but these are some interesting answers. I'm an A-1 or H57 kind of guy... glad to know I'm not the only one that takes a "sample" now and again. I'm a big BBQ guy and know the nuances of many a sauce! :)

Schlante,
Phillip

Oh yea, wise choice on tossing it!

Back