Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.009 seems pretty high for this beer. What temp did you mash at? I would turn it up to 90+ until you're sure it's finished. You shouldn't have off flavors with 3794 at 90F. If it's not moving in a few days, you might be done and should be safe to bottle. Your alternative is to pitch a different yeast (3711?) and try to lower the fg a bit before bottling.

I'll turn the heat back on tonight to 85. Then I'll work it up to 90. I'll let it go for a week and check back on it. Thanks for the reply.

Oh and I mashed at 148 like the recipe calls out.

Last edited:
8 weeks?!? You are fine. You are not going to coax any more attenuation out of that yeast. Bottle or keg and be done with it. I just bottled my version after 2 weeks. My hydrometer broke a while ago and I stopped taking gravity measurements. Sometimes less (data) is more. Does it taste done to you? Then it's done.

8 weeks?!? You are fine. You are not going to coax any more attenuation out of that yeast. Bottle or keg and be done with it. I just bottled my version after 2 weeks. My hydrometer broke a while ago and I stopped taking gravity measurements. Sometimes less (data) is more. Does it taste done to you? Then it's done.

3724 is notorious for getting stuck and taking as long as it did. And this thing was actively fermenting for 7 weeks, no doubt about that. Yeast was in suspension, bubbles every second in the blow off container. Then the yeast finally dropped out of suspension and things seemed to be done. I was surprised with the 1.009 reading so I did end up turning the temp back up on it for a day and a half and nothing changed, so in this instance it actually was done. And I now know why it finished at 1.009. I forgot this was the beer that I accidentally dropped the grain all over the garage floor and in a fit of rage started hand scooping it off the ground into the mash tun (I'm sure picking up dead insect parts and dirt). I then added some DME. That DME is likely to be the reason why the yeast couldn't eat those sugars. That's my best guess at least.

3724 is notorious for getting stuck and taking as long as it did. And this thing was actively fermenting for 7 weeks, no doubt about that. Yeast was in suspension, bubbles every second in the blow off container. Then the yeast finally dropped out of suspension and things seemed to be done. I was surprised with the 1.009 reading so I did end up turning the temp back up on it for a day and a half and nothing changed, so in this instance it actually was done. And I now know why it finished at 1.009. I forgot this was the beer that I accidentally dropped the grain all over the garage floor and in a fit of rage started hand scooping it off the ground into the mash tun (I'm sure picking up dead insect parts and dirt). I then added some DME. That DME is likely to be the reason why the yeast couldn't eat those sugars. That's my best guess at least.

DME and a crazy brew day makes sense. Mine finished at 1.000 despite mother nature decided to start pouring rain during the boil (I had to shield it with an umbrella!) but I used 3711. I'm now convinced it will eat anything - including old gym socks!

DME and a crazy brew day makes sense. Mine finished at 1.000 despite mother nature decided to start pouring rain during the boil (I had to shield it with an umbrella!) but I used 3711. I'm now convinced it will eat anything - including old gym socks!

Mine has been fermenting for almost 3 weeks now. I checked it a week ago and it was at 1.000 from 1.067. I plan on bottling on the weekend so I'll check it again tonight. I used Bell Saison dry yeast which is the dry version of 3711. I do agree it is a beast of a yeast :rockin:

Mine has been fermenting for almost 3 weeks now. I checked it a week ago and it was at 1.000 from 1.067. I plan on bottling on the weekend so I'll check it again tonight. I used Bell Saison dry yeast which is the dry version of 3711. I do agree it is a beast of a yeast :rockin:

It was still at 1.000 so I bottled it last night.
Good that it keeps for a long time because at 8.8% I won't/shouldn't be drinking it really quick. :drunk:

I bottled this today and it tasted amazing! 3711 took it all the way down 1.000 from 1.068! Can't wait for this one to carb up, thanks for sharing the recipe.

I'll turn the heat back on tonight to 85. Then I'll work it up to 90. I'll let it go for a week and check back on it.

F***. After I turned off the heat the disgusting sanitizer/old beer blow off container got sucked back in to the beer because of the cooling effect. It tastes slightly off now. This is very disappointing.

F***. After I turned off the heat the disgusting sanitizer/old beer blow off container got sucked back in to the beer because of the cooling effect. It tastes slightly off now. This is very disappointing.

Oh no! Rookie mistake. Add Brett, some sugar, and make a sour.. Quickly!

Been there myself, you use star San? Give it a bit to clean itself up, no worries..

Oh no! Rookie mistake. Add Brett, some sugar, and make a sour.. Quickly!

If that were the only option I'd rather dump it down the tub drain.
But that's because I despise sour beers.

It was still at 1.000 so I bottled it last night.
Good that it keeps for a long time because at 8.8% I won't/shouldn't be drinking it really quick. :drunk:

So 5 days later and it tastes very good. A little boozy but that's to be expected. I know there's still a little bit of conditioning sugar in there but it's amazing how much body/mouthfeel it has for a beer that finished at 1.000. Belle Saison is a great dry yeast. Can't wait until it's fully carbed and had a chance to mature a bit more. :mug:

How much liquid are we talking about?
Your beer is probably between 8 and 9% Abv and has a decent amount of hops in it so maybe it will be ok.

Probably 3 cups worth of cloudy sanitizer/ old beer blowoff junk. And I changed the recipe to be 5.5% abv.

Probably 3 cups worth of cloudy sanitizer/ old beer blowoff junk. And I changed the recipe to be 5.5% abv.

Wow! That's a lot of blowoff. Do you use a better bottle? Did you give it any time before cold crashing?

Wow! That's a lot of blowoff. Do you use a better bottle? Did you give it any time before cold crashing?

I used a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I didn't actually cold-crash it. My basement is ~64 degrees, and I had my carboy submerged in water with an aquarium heater to get the temp up to 85. After turning it off and checking back on it a day later, it cooled down and sucked enough in to basically "top off" the rest of the carboy which I estimate approximately 3 cups worth. Bleh!

I can't wait to try this! Brewed it 1.5 weeks ago and nailed the gravity. The fermometer on my bucket has been reading a consistent 65*. However, I have no idea how I'm gonna raise the temp for the last 2 weeks of fermentation. Any suggestions?

This was my first time kegging. Never going back to bottles again

Once you keg your first batch you wonder why in the world you never started kegging sooner, I know I did. Bottling was always my least favorite thing next to cleaning. So easy to adjust carbonation as well as being so much easier. Plus you can still fill bottles from a keg for competitions or for gifts with a beer gun.

How does the "hot" alcohol taste of stronger beer compare when kegged? I'm used to waiting a few months to try stronger beer >7% when I bottle, but im not familiar with kegging them.
I've only kegged beer in the 5-6% range and those are fine to drink right a way

How does the "hot" alcohol taste of stronger beer compare when kegged? I'm used to waiting a few months to try stronger beer >7% when I bottle, but im not familiar with kegging them.

Shouldnt really make a difference. But IMO, if your saison has a hot taste to it, you made it wrong. Even the ones that have crept up to 9% or so dont have any hot flavors

I've never had that problem, but I've read other recipes taste better after "x" months of sitting in the bottle.just curious about the comparison in a keg

I've never had that problem, but I've read other recipes taste better after "x" months of sitting in the bottle.just curious about the comparison in a keg

A keg is just a giant bottle with the ability to force carbonate. If you added priming sugar to a keg and left it at 60-70 degrees like you would a bottle, they should taste the same.

You can also seal up the keg and take it off the gas to let it age before force carbonating if you feel like it needs time.

Saisons should be ready fairly quickly so it won't be a problem with this brew.

Almost been 2 weeks in the bottle and it is tasting pretty good! Nicely carbonated and has some nice spicy characteristics to it. I'm also getting a little bit of bannana flavor...it's not horrible, just unexpected. Could this be from under pitching yeast?

View attachment 1456536374423.jpg

Hi guys, without reading all 171 pages (I have read some), how long does the 3711 take to get going once it's pitched? I made this recipe last night, EKG instead of Fuggles, and split the batch. 2 gal of the 3711, and 3 gallons of Omega "Bring on da Funk" yeast. Pitched last night around 11pm, no action yet this morning (7am). Pitched at 66. My house is cold, so over night they stayed at 66 degrees. I have the house heater on now with the door shut to the room the fermenters are in. Should warm them up to 68 or so, but I'll have a hard time getting them any higher, other than what occurs naturally.

Also, like a total rookie, I didn't "smack" the 3711 smack pack before I pitched. So I just pitched the yeast, then realized the nutrient pack was still in the bag, so I opened it, dumped it in, shook up the fermenter, and called it good. I'd think that shouldn't be too big of a deal. But no action on either fermenter has me a little concerned.

Thoughts?

Oh, and last thing. I screwed up my mashing a bit. I had a really hard time holding the temperature for some reason. I way over shot the 148 mash temp (drinking beer and chit chatting will do that), and the water in my keggle was 168 when I noticed it. So I turned off the flame, and let the temp drop down (hadn't mashed in yet). BeerSmith told me to mash in at 158.7 to get a mash temp of 148. So, I poured the grains in at about 159, and it dropped to 149. Great. Then over the course of the hour, it dropped down to about 143. I was stressing this, but there wasn't much I could do, without just making things worse (ideas?).

So, there you have it. A couple mistakes along the way. Any opinions on anything I've mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You'll likely be fine, most of the conversion is done in the first 15-20 min so your temp at point was likeyl still close to 148. It may just finish close to 1.000 or go lower and seem a little thin or watery, but 3711 will give it a little fuller mouthfeel.

As for the yeast/nutrient pack nothing hurt there, you just have the yeast a little extra food, not that 3711 really needs it :)

I normally see activity within a few hours with most Saison strains, but I wouldn't worry too much. Are you just not seeing airlock bubbles? Many will tell you and there's proof to it that airlock activity does price/disprove fermentation activity.

Hey bolus14. Yea, the temp was up around 148-149 for a good 20 minutes, then slowly made its way down to 143ish. Just caught me by surprise because I had good luck holding temperature in the mash tun with a lid and a couple towels draped over the sides.

The 3711 got going pretty good about 16 hours after pitching, and was cranking this morning, about 30 hours into it. Temp was up to 70, and I wouldn't mind it going a little higher. I have a sweatshirt around it, to try and hold that heat in as long as possible.

The Omega "Bring on da Funk" yeast was a slow starter, but I noticed on the package that it had a packing date of 11/19, so I was probably pushing it for viable yeast, since I didn't do a starter.

I've read and heard that the bubbles in the airlock are a good way to gauge/judge fermentation activity, but darn it, I like seeing the action!! :)

Seems like we are all good today. Relax, don't worry, and have a home brew, right?

Brewed this recipe yesterday and pitched Belle Saison dry yeast around 11PM at 68F and left it out of the fermentation chamber to free rise.

By the time I wake up at 8 in the next morning it already had a big krausen!

Added the zests of 1 lemon on the boil, let see how will turn out

Did anyone ever dry hop this?

I bottled a batch of it about a month ago and it tastes great but I would like to experiment with it. I haven't been drinking much lately so I still have about 40 bottles of it and I would like to experiment a bit.

Considering that I would usually use 1 to 2 oz per batch for dry hopping that would work out about 1g in a 355ml bottle.

I'm going to try 1g of one hop for 7 days per bottle in with the following hops.

El Dorado, Galaxy, Topaz, Vic Secret and Summit.

I will start in about 2 weeks time.
Should be a good learning experience.

:mug: :tank:

Did anyone ever dry hop this?

I bottled a batch of it about a month ago and it tastes great but I would like to experiment with it. I haven't been drinking much lately so I still have about 40 bottles of it and I would like to experiment a bit.

Considering that I would usually use 1 to 2 oz per batch for dry hopping that would work out about 1g in a 355ml bottle.

I'm going to try 1g of one hop for 7 days per bottle in with the following hops.

El Dorado, Galaxy, Topaz, Vic Secret and Summit.

I will start in about 2 weeks time.
Should be a good learning experience.

:mug: :tank:

So you're going to crack them open, dry hop, re-prime (slightly), and re-cap?

So you're going to crack them open, dry hop, re-prime (slightly), and re-cap?

Yes - except for the re-prime.
Don't think I'll have any oxidation issues if re-cap them immediately and drink them within a week or two. I will also chill them before doing it just to be sure they don't foam too much. Then I will leave them at room temperature for 5 days, give them a bit of a shake to assist the hops with dropping and then cold crash for 2 days.

Yes - except for the re-prime.
Don't think I'll have any oxidation issues if re-cap them immediately and drink them within a week or two. I will also chill them before doing it just to be sure they don't foam too much. Then I will leave them at room temperature for 5 days, give them a bit of a shake to assist the hops with dropping and then cold crash for 2 days.

I'm sure oxidation won't be a problem. I was just wondering if carbonation would suffer.

My wife told me last night at our local pub she wants to brew a saison next. I would have never expected her to say that, but I will absolutely jump at that opportunity. I prefer sours over saisons, but she hates sours. So... Saison it is! This one sounds great, and has a ton of feedback and comments to boot.

Have to go thru all 172 pages and see what has been said now :\

My wife told me last night at our local pub she wants to brew a saison next. I would have never expected her to say that, but I will absolutely jump at that opportunity. I prefer sours over saisons, but she hates sours. So... Saison it is! This one sounds great, and has a ton of feedback and comments to boot.

Have to go thru all 172 pages and see what has been said now :\

Brew it as is and you can always add something in secondary if you feel like you need it! I really enjoyed this recipe.

Back