transplanting from half barrel wine pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhog

Reaction score
Last evening I transplanted two sterling plants from wine barrels to the ground. It's bad enough they were already not doing so well after some small grasshoppers had a feast some 2 weeks ago, but today i noticed the bines appear to be dying. Is this just shock from the transplant? The real question is what is the best method for transplanting? My cascades and mt.hood hops are already forming cones and are about 10'. I want to put them in the ground, but now i am too paranoid. Any advice on transplanting is truly appreciated:mug:

Transplant when dormant, summer = worst time to transplant. Since its to late for that I'd say just make sure they are watered good that will be the biggest thing to help them cope right now.

The secondary roots of hop plants are small and fragile. You probably lost 75% of the root system moving them. Two weekends ago, I was digging out some rhizomes and I killed one of my Nugget bines, just because I disrupted the soil a foot away.

Transplant only in the Spring.

Back