will pot upgrade require burner upgrade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
So last year sometime I bought this turkey fryer setup and although I am happy with it I would like to upgrade the pot to a 40 qt. The problem is that if you look at the pic there is a 3/4 - 1' metal ring that is on top of the burner to help keep the pot from sliding off or something. It is ~13" in diameter. All of the pots that I have been looking at have been in the ~15" range.

Can I put the bigger pot on top of this extra safety "feature" without issue?
Will the extra distance from the burner to the pot be a big deal?

I guess I could take a hack saw and file to it, but my luck it is adding extra stability or something.

Insight would be appreciated.

As long as you can sit it on top like that you should be cool. the welds look plenty strong.

my problem with a simliar burner was that my new pot was only about 1/2" wider than that ring/lip, so I couldn't sit inside, and couldn't sit on top, it sat half inside/half on, and thus at like a 10 degree angle.

not cool

What I did is sort of a jerry rigged fixed, but it works. I have the exacty same burner, and bought a 10 gallon Bayou classic pot.

The main things you are concerned with are stability and air flow. I went to Home Depot and bought a couple 2 foot lentghs of rebar. I found it in the building materials section near the fencing. I think they were 1.98 apiece. I cut two of them in half. Put the long one in the middle section, two short pieces on the sides, and the other two short pieces across the middle to make a sort of grid. It works just as I hoped it would.

Save your extra money for a spigot on the side so you don't have to pour anymore. That was the best brew money I've spent yet.

Back