How snobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish78

Reaction score
I may open up a can of worms here but, what the hell.

A trusted friend of yours gives you a bottle with the label covered and says "you have to try this, this is the best IPA/Light Lager/English Pale ale, Bock, Insert your favorite style here, ever" You proceed to pour and have a drink. You can't believe how good it is, this is the only beer you have tasted that you would give a 45 to. This, in your opinion is the best beer ever brewed and you devote you allegiance to it on the spot and want to rename your first born after it. Excitedly you ask your friend what is the name of this? Who makes it?
Your friend says this is blah blah blah brewed by Anheuser Busch!

Your jaw drops, the best beer you ever tasted belongs to the evil corporation that has been producing crap beer for years. The same company that you vowed never to support in any way due to its inferior product and its treatment of smaller brewers. What to do?

I know most on here have swore off the big boys. Well because their beer sucks. But what if? What if they made a beer that was excellent, a beer that was winning competitions? What would you do? Would you give up your boycott and buy or would you forgo the best beer you ever had?

I give it a try if someone got me a 6 pack. Can't say i would spend my own money. My money is to support local, and small brewers. Where beer is a art not for NASCAR races and big sporting events.

Buckle up, here comes another one of these threads. I get your intent, Catfish, and it's a fair question, but I am certain how this thread will unravel. Here's the 4 factions that always show up (and, to post my vote, I'm in the third group).

• 25%: Bud sucks, craft and homebrew rocks. My horse makes a bucket of bud twice a day.
  • 25%: AB is an evil corporation. Did you not see Beer Wars? They are Guy Fawke's next target I'm sure.
  • 25%: I don't care who makes it, if it tastes good I'll take another. (I'm in this group)

... and our favorite group,

• 25%: Just here to bash one of the 3 groups above; probably didn't read the OP.

All BMC sucks. my pony make enough for a small town. they are evil corporate fiends hell bent on destroying real beer! but I don't care who makes it if it's good. drink what you like. and all the people that bash any beer drinker because they drink what they like or BMC are stupid! what are we talking about again?

I like to cover all my bases.

Meh, I buy Goose Islands speacialty beers on occasion, so I guess I would buy this sometimes as well. I am not a 1 beer kind of guy so I would still buy lots of smaller Craft beers also.

I'll buy what I like. Or at least can afford at the moment. Any beer is good when you need some & don't have much to spend. I ain't proud,just thirsty!:mug::tank::ban:

I will not support InBev or MillerCoors. I fit into the 25% who say they're an evil corporation. Maybe when the market is back to a reasonable level and say Macros control 60% of the Market and craft controls 40% (BTW I would be against Sam Adams or Dogfish if they ever got to AB's size) thne maybe I'd consider it.

Thankfully AB's concern over the bottom line means I'll never have this conundrum, since the only good brews they own are former crafts like Goose Island.

I think it's kind of like teens with bands that "sell out" by doing albums when it comes to beer. It's childish to say "they got as big as Bud,they suck forever now"!!! It takes years of work not taking any or very little pay for yourself to biuld a successful brewery. If a craft brewer gets big,yea for them! As long as I still like it,I'll still buy it.

BMC just produce what the masses demand. If people didn't buy it, they wouldn't make it! So don't blame them, blame your dad, neighbor, brother or friends that buy it!

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
I will not support InBev or MillerCoors. I fit into the 25% who say they're an evil corporation. Maybe when the market is back to a reasonable level and say Macros control 60% of the Market and craft controls 40% (BTW I would be against Sam Adams or Dogfish if they ever got to AB's size) thne maybe I'd consider it.

Thankfully AB's concern over the bottom line means I'll never have this conundrum, since the only good brews they own are former crafts like Goose Island.

You would be against Sam or dogfish if they got big but still maintained quality and ethical business practice?

I don't buy beer as a general rule not in my budget, better spent on grain/hops/yeast. If it tastes good I'd drink it, if it's not good it becomes a treat for my sanitation engineers (who I give a couple cases of whatever s on sale) it's part of the budget for trash pick up. No disrespect meant or given, I do this for their service. They didn't care for Sam Adams or my beer, Natty Ice is preferred.

I think it's kind of like teens with bands that "sell out" by doing albums when it comes to beer. It's childish to say "they got as big as Bud,they suck forever now"!!! It takes years of work not taking any or very little pay for yourself to biuld a successful brewery. If a craft brewer gets big,yea for them! As long as I still like it,I'll still buy it.

Music fans are largely morons. Short of Kiss making a disco record, most artists who "sell out" weren't all that good in the first place. My favorite was someone talked about Modest Mouse selling out cause of someone (I think it was a commercial) using one of their older songs. I was confused by that.

Now as far as "they got as big as bud, the suck forever now" to get to the size of AB (controls 50% of the market alone) you have to cut costs, quality and do seedy dealings, If they can get that big without doing that I'd change my mind, but to be a big uber corporation, you almost always have to turn your back on your consumers.

I know most on here have swore off the big boys. Well because their beer sucks.

I never once said their beer sucks! They have some of the "biggest" brands around- from Stella Artois and Beck's, and Hoegaarden to Goose Island.

I swore off AB because of their business practices, just as I boycott Wal-Mart.

I doubt In-Bev and Wal-Mart miss me, but I have to follow what I believe.

I don't believe one absolutely has to be a back stabbing,satan blowing jacka$$ to get ahead like that. It's just the fast,easy way for someone that doesn't know or care to get ahead. And Bud was just an example. If you have to lie,cheat,steal,& kill to get ahead,you don't deserve the bullet it'd take to grease your a$$.

Yes, of course, success is not a result of innovation, customer response, demand or hard work. It is solely obtained at the expense of someone else.

Show me a business that controls 50% of the US market (much less a highly established marked like brewing) and does so by maintaining a healthy pro-competition attitude, and I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. I've worked for some industry leaders, and I can tell you they're very anti-competitive.

I'm 2nd genration Ford myself,middle management. So,please,elighten us of something we aren't aware of. I said it doesn't have to be the way it is,basically. Now lets get back to it...

I'm 2nd genration Ford myself,middle management. So,please,elighten us of something we aren't aware of. I said it doesn't have to be the way it is,basically. Now lets get back to it...

Ford controls approx 15% of the market, not even closely comparable to InBev. One of the companies I worked for controlled just shy of 40% of the market, and would have loved more if their industry wasn't so tightly regulated by the FCC. To maintain a high level of control of the market yes they have to work hard and maintain their customer base, but they also engaged in lots of shady dealings as well.

I'm all for free enterprise so I have nothing against the corporate breweries. I also drink Corona, keep a case of Miller Lite on hand, although I've snobbed it up a bit and will only drink it from a glass. Also when drinking at a friends house my beer choices are pretty much warm Busch Light, Coors Light. It's hard to turn it down whenever they went out and bought the case of beer just to be nice, but those are the dilemmas we face.

More than 15% worldwide,they are a multinational like inbev,after all. But you should get the picture. So let's stop the saber rattling that always friggin starts in these threads. I don't believe you have to be the worlds biggest no good sob to get ahead. That's just the dumb a-holes way of getting there. Trust me,I've talked to some of these guys,& they really aren't that bright. Just taught to be successfully gready.

Oops, you answered that already.

Well, to the OP, I will drink whatever I like, whenever I like. I could care less what anyone thinks about that. Right now I'm on a serious lime-a-rita kick. I absolutely love that thing. i don't even know what to call it, I just love it.

To answer the op, I could'nt see any of the major brewing companies making anything with the same quality and care as a craft brew.One reason being that their malt and hop selection is probably chosen by a bean-counter based on cost rather than quality.

I usually like to support my local breweries, and business. Just because I like to support my local economy, and I buy American when I can. Here in NJ we have a wealth of really good breweries, making great product. However, lifes too short to be snobbish about anything. Drink what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks about it!

Yesterday I forgot to take my cooler over to a friends so I spent the whole day drinking bud light with him. First bud I have drank in about a year and it is still good.

I love porters and such but still enjoy a good bud when I can. Nothing but a thing to me

Many of the hop varieties you enjoy as a homebrewer came from macro-companies' purchasing power. And as for barley, read up on that a bit. You couldn't be further from the truth. Craft brewers pay more because of economies of scale, not because of any difference in quality.

Oops, you answered that already.

Well, to the OP, I will drink whatever I like, whenever I like. I could care less what anyone thinks about that. Right now I'm on a serious lime-a-rita kick. I absolutely love that thing. i don't even know what to call it, I just love it.

Those are good. Had some over the summer at the beach in N Carolina. That's all I drank the entire week I was there. Craft beers just don't translate to the beach. Sometimes you just want a Bud Lite.

Show me a business that controls 50% of the US market (much less a highly established marked like brewing) and does so by maintaining a healthy pro-competition attitude, and I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. I've worked for some industry leaders, and I can tell you they're very anti-competitive.

I can't because that is mutually exclusive. You don't go in to business to exchange jabs with the competition, you go in to business to make money and bury the competition. It's not pretty, it's not fun, but that's the way it works.

passedpawn said:
buckle up, here comes another one of these threads. I get your intent, catfish, and it's a fair question, but i am certain how this thread will unravel. Here's the 4 factions that always show up (and, to post my vote, i'm in the third group).

[*]25%: Bud sucks, craft and homebrew rocks. My horse makes a bucket of bud twice a day.
[*]25%: Ab is an evil corporation. Did you not see beer wars? They are guy fawkes next target i'm sure.
[*]25%: I don't care who makes it, if it tastes good i'll take another. (i'm in this group)

... And our favorite group,

[*]25%: Just here to bash one of the 3 groups above, probably didn't read the op.

+1

I don't support AB-InBev with my money. I don't think their beer sucks, I just don't agree with their business practices. I don't really care what anyone else thinks about how I choose to spend my money, so if you want to buy their products, buy their products. Don't tell me I'm wrong in how I choose to spend my money.

Back