Berliner-Weisse help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangj

Reaction score
Looking at brewing a Berliner-Weisse for summer.

10 gallons
Og 1.031
Fg 1.008
ABV 3.0%
IBU 5

Mash
130F 15min
149F 45min

Grains
7 lbs Wheat
4 lbs Ger Pils

Hops
1 oz Hersbrucker 60 min

yeast
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
Wyeast 3191 Berliner-Weisse

Any suggestion?

You don't have to boil. I never do. And I just mash hop. You really don't want much hop presence as it inhibits the lacto. Ferment normally then ramp up the temp between 80-100 degrees to get the lacto working.

You don't have to boil. I never do. And I just mash hop. You really don't want much hop presence as it inhibits the lacto. Ferment normally then ramp up the temp between 80-100 degrees to get the lacto working.

So just mash at 149-150 and then just go straight to the fermenter?

What do you use to raise the temp up that high? I thought you didn't have to ferment that high with Wyeast 3191 Berliner-Weisse.

I do a decoction and mash hops with my Berliner, then just barely bring it to a simmer before chilling. This most recent batch I pitched the latco starter 12 hours before the ale yeast (I like US-05 since it is so attenuative) but it still took a couple months for the sourness to get to where I wanted it (ambeint temps were ~75-80 for the first few months of aging).

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/05/double-berliner-weisse-brew.html

I do a decoction and mash hops with my Berliner, then just barely bring it to a simmer before chilling. This most recent batch I pitched the latco starter 12 hours before the ale yeast (I like US-05 since it is so attenuative) but it still took a couple months for the sourness to get to where I wanted it (ambeint temps were ~75-80 for the first few months of aging).

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/05/double-berliner-weisse-brew.html

Thanks for the link. That's helps alot!

Can I treat wy 3191 like Latco?

Thanks for the link. That's helps alot!

Can I treat wy 3191 like Latco?

No--3191 has saccharomyces in it (and a little brett)..the blend is actually designed to be used on its own (with NO starter), with no additional yeast.

However, myself and nearly everyone i've come across has had poor results with the 3191 blend. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on a foolproof method of doing these beers, but my next attempt will mimic what oldsock posted---big lacto starter pitched ~24 hrs in advance of the sacch yeast with initial temps kept near 90+.

No--3191 has saccharomyces in it (and a little brett)..the blend is actually designed to be used on its own (with NO starter), with no additional yeast.

However, myself and nearly everyone i've come across has had poor results with the 3191 blend.

Poor results meaning not enough sour, didn't hit FG?

The general knock is that it doesn't produce enough acid, but I won a medal with 3191 a few years ago, but using it you do lose some control. I think the key is getting close to 0 IBUs and give the lacto plenty of time in secondary and the bottle to do its thing.

I would just use a clean yeast and lacto separate.

To get the temp up high, you can put it near a furnace/water heater if you have one. I don't so I put it in a water bath with an aquarium heater turned up full blast.

The general knock is that it doesn't produce enough acid, but I won a medal with 3191 a few years ago, but using it you do lose some control. I think the key is getting close to 0 IBUs and give the lacto plenty of time in secondary and the bottle to do its thing.

Thanks for the link! Lots of good info..

Back