Oaking Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinderbike

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post here. Sorry if this has been asked before:

I've been making "wine" and mead for a couple of month (wine in quotes as it's not the greatest, working on that). My family lives near a place called Oak Glen, which is serious apple country, so I'm thinking I might pick up a couple of jugs of fresh-pressed cider and try my hand at making hard cider again (I did it about 3 years ago, but had no idea what I was doing back then!).

My question is, has anyone ever oaked a cider, either in a barrel or with cubes/chips, and how did it taste? If anyone has, and could recommend a toast level, that would be appreciated, too.

I've heard of using medium toast - supposedly really nice. I'd sure love to try some.

Woodchuck's Winter seasonal is oaked and is one of my favorites. Please keep us posted as I would be interested in doing this as well.

I add oak to vodka to create an extract, and add it to taste to most of my apfelwein. I love how it comes out with just a small amount of oak.

I'm sure hard cider would taste great too.

I did this once with medium toast chips. I don't recall how long I oaked for, (in secondary), but it turned out very oaky. To the point where it was almost undrinkable. I don't think I would do it again unless I had some hard numbers on the amount of oak to use and the amount of time.

I've used French medium toast cubes in secondary during a cold crash for cider, about a week and a half... I don't remember the amount but I do remember it was 1/4 of what was recommended by the oak supplier (Midwest) and for 1/4 of the time. And the oak was definitely there. It was my second cider, so I didn't quite know what I was doing, but I do remember the Oak being very present. If I did it again (and I am, in about a month), I'd add the oak during primary so I don't have to be so fussy about 'sanitizing' the cubes, and I'd use 1/8 of what is called for on the package. I'd then make sure to rack it off the oak after a cold crash within 2 weeks, and let it age until spring. Although, that Brandon O'Graff sounds pretty tempting, forgetting about the oak altogether.

I oaked my last batch of Apfelwein I kegged last year. I used 2 oz of American Medium+ for 6 months. Kind of forgot about it for awhile, but when I'd checked it at two months, it wasn't quite where I wanted. Next time I will definitely go less time and less oak. It's over-oaked, sure, but after maybe a third of a glass, either I get used to the strong oak or it seems to calm down as the 'wein warms up a bit. I'd also use either a different toast level, or try with a different variety of oak. Maybe I'll use a mixture of toast levels.

I've never done it myself but I had a cider once that was aged in a rum barrel that was pretty damn good.

Back