Right DME for Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
Hi guys,

when I make my startes I have used Briess' Light DME. I am about to make a started from an amber beer and thought about the DME I should use. Does it make a difference what DME I use for the starter? I only have light DME. I could get different DME but it is neccessary?

Thanks!

For lagers or larger starters, I let the yeast settle before pitching and decant off the wort. Then I just pitch the yeast w/ a little bit of wort.

I have 6lbs of Ultralight DME in the freezer for starters. Then crash cool and decant most of the liquid off before pitching.

I have read about some people using dark DME if they're making a starter for a stout, amber DME if they're making an amber, etc. etc. I think it's all a bunch of hooey. Use whatever you have on hand. I normally decant the liquid off of my starters, but even if you don't decant, the amount of liquid that you're pitching in your beer likely isn't enough to impact either the flavor or the color in a typical 5g batch.

Check the specs on any DME or LME you purchase. You want one with good attenuation. For example, Laaglander- which I believe is no longer available here- attenuated at something like 60%.

Probably not your best choice.

Yes, but with DME it's much easier to measure out the small amount necessary.

Yep I use an Erlenmeyer flask and its so simple. Fill flask to 800ml mark, add 1 cup of DME and that brings you to 900ml and the 1.040 mark. Add liquid yeast to bring it to 1000ml and put on stirplate if you have one

Latest posts

Back