Vodka in Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I have seen a bunch of posts about vodka in airlocks. Why aren't people just using some of the left-over Star San solution that they used to get the equipment ready? Am I missing something?

I think either is good. I spray my caps with vodka, its drinkable? Its pretty cheap, I put it in my airlocks also, not really sure, just sounded like a cool thing to do. Nothing like a bloody mary the morning after too many homebrews with any extra vodka that might be laying around? Its always handy I guess.

BierMuncher said:
I like dark rum. Smells nice and is easier to see what's going on from further away.

You are a flake.
I like that... Thanks for all the tidbits I have learned from you so far.

Don't you want to be able to smell the beer fermenting though? I usually put a plastic cup over my vodka filled airlock (when I use one) and pick it up and sniff several times a day.

The reason I use vodka instead of sanitizer solution is that for any reason if a negative pressure ever develops in your carboy and some of the liquid gets sucked inside the fermenter I'd much rather have alcohol getting sucked back in than sanitizer. Just my 2 cents.

dblvsn said:
The reason I use vodka instead of sanitizer solution is that for any reason if a negative pressure ever develops in your carboy and some of the liquid gets sucked inside the fermenter I'd much rather have alcohol getting sucked back in than sanitizer.

Hmmmmmmm...the same sanitizer that you no-rinse with? Pretty sure that stuff is safe to have in there.

Kayos said:
Hmmmmmmm...the same sanitizer that you no-rinse with? Pretty sure that stuff is safe to have in there.

star san is actually good for yeast if im not mistaken... becomes nutrients for them :)

Back