Strawberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malichaidog

Reaction score
I have a blonde ale ready to take on some fruit. What do you guys think about using a juicer on a few boxes of strawberries and racking onto that for some flavor? I figured that way I could mix some vodka with it too to sterilize

I have a blonde ale ready to take on some fruit. What do you guys think about using a juicer on a few boxes of strawberries and racking onto that for some flavor? I figured that way I could mix some vodka with it too to sterilize

Strawberries impart very little, if any, flavor to a beer. Rather, it will more likely add sugar to the beer that will simply ferment out, making your beer dry and potentially very thin. Consider using raspberries or some other high flavor fruit. Cheers!

Brulosopher said:
Strawberries impart very little, if any, flavor to a beer. Rather, it will more likely add sugar to the beer that will simply ferment out, making your beer dry and potentially very thin. Consider using raspberries or some other high flavor fruit. Cheers!

I thought the same, but a friend just did a strawberry blonde with 5 lbs of fresh strawberries (very ripe, very flavorful - chopped them up fine and froze the, before adding to secondary for a week), and it came out almost like a strawberry soda. Not my thing, but I was truly surprised at how much strawberry flavor came through. That said, other fruits like raspberries do come out significantly stronger, but strawberry can be done with a very light base beer.

Update. The strawberry flavor is almost overwhelming. It's carbing up now but the beer is redfish and the aroma and taste of strawberries is unmistakeable. Next time just using the fresh juiced strawberries and no pulp.

I thought the same, but a friend just did a strawberry blonde with 5 lbs of fresh strawberries (very ripe, very flavorful - chopped them up fine and froze the, before adding to secondary for a week), and it came out almost like a strawberry soda. Not my thing, but I was truly surprised at how much strawberry flavor came through. That said, other fruits like raspberries do come out significantly stronger, but strawberry can be done with a very light base beer.

I did this with a wheat beer and had similar results. Had heard how little flavors strawberries impart and even thought about using some artificial strawberry flavoring, but convinced myself to just stick with the fruit. And I'm very happy I did. Very refreshing beer to drink on a warm summer afternoon! It's my wife's favorite of the brews I've done, but I have a feeling that will change once my pumpkin ale is ready to drink in a couple of weeks!

Try Sam Calagiones kiwit, substitute 4 pounds of fresh strawberries and add one pound of honey at flame out. Put the strawberries in primary, after 2 weeks rack to secondary without the berries for two weeks. Sweet strawberry aroma...but not overdone on flavor. Our second batch is kegged.

Back