Air lock blew out for 2 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltsfan2

Reaction score
Air lock blew out and was out for 2 days. The beer was in primary for 2 days when this happened. I sanitized the air lock and put it back in. It has now been 5 days and it seem to be doing nothing. I'm afraid that the fermentation has stopped. I took a reading the OG was 1.036 and now it reads 1.02. Should I continue to leave it for another week before going to secondary?

What style of beer and what was the grain bill? 1.002 is a really low gravity. Are you sure you read your hydrometer correctly?

Mild Brown, 5 Lbs Light Malt Extract, Steeping Grain-8oz. Crystal 60L, 4 oz. chocolate, Hops- 1oz. Northern Brewer, 1oz Willamette
The hydrometer float level was 02.

What style of beer and what was the grain bill? 1.002 is a really low gravity. Are you sure you read your hydrometer correctly?

Probably 1.020. If it is and extract batch it may be done. Extracts commonly end around 1.020. Take another reading in a day and another the day after that. If they read the same your fermentation is done. Many believe that leaving the beer on the yeast for another 2-3 weeks allow the yeast to clean up the beer of off flavors and make it more clear. I usually ferment for 3 weeks then bottle.

BTW you probably blew the airlock after 12+ hours and the layer of co2 will have protected the beer. I always start my fermentations with a blow off tube installed. It beats cleaning up a mess.

It was 1.02. I did have an air hose into a jug of water. The stopper actually came out and there was no blown out crap. My wife put the stopper in so I cant be sure how well it was in to begin with.

Relax bro! I don't even use an airlock. I just loosely set my lid on the bucket until virgorous fermentation stops, then snap it on. I routinely leave it for a couple of weeks, then bottle. The CO2 from fermentation forms a protective blanket over the wort, nothing to worry about, beer is tougher than most here give it credit for.

Cheers!

Back