Newb here, first batch.. Did i ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sickboy240

Reaction score
So I brewed an extract IPA last week, mostly a Stone clone variation, steeped specialty grains. Used wlp007, was done in 24 hours pretty much. Racked to secondary today.. And my volume was fairly short. I had heard that you don't want much headspace in the secondary. So I added bottled water (racked it). Maybe 1/2-3/4 gal... Put the airlock back in and dropped it back in chest freezer back at 67deg. After the fact it dawned on me I should have boiled the water to take the oxygen out. I plan on two more weeks in the chest freezer, plan on 2-stage dry hopping.

Soo did I ruin it with the water? Or will I basically have to wait to find out after bottle conditioning? Think it have too much Diacetyl?

Would it help to up the temp for a couple days to 70 or so?

Wait, how long was it in the primary? 24 hours? Not near long enough. Should wait at least 2 or 3 days after all fermentation signs have stopped. Yeasties busy cleaning up after themselves. Better yet skip the secondary entirely. Predominant opinion is secodary is not required and has significant problems.

Any way that's on a go forward bases as for this batch.

Boiling of top up water is always a good idea, mostly for sanitary reasons. But unless your bottle water is from Tijuana you're probably ok. Any O2 will most likely be scrubbed out by the yeast because you racked so early and it's still warm.

I'd say there is an approximately 92.8% chance you are ok. I'd worry more about the premature racking. Even after the bubbling has stopped and the krausen fallen and the FG reached the yeast have important work to do, don't rush them.

Rudeboy

That white labs English dry 007 supposedly works crazy fast. I was just saying after 24-36 hours it pretty much stopped bubbling like crazy.

Agreed with above. You're probably fine! 24 hours is no where near long enough for primary. Make sure to give at least 10 days. Most of us skip secondary and do a longer primary. I usually ferment for 3 weeks before keg or bottling. This isn't unusual for newcomers though because you (like me) were a little impatient and that's ok! RDWHAHB and stop adding water to post fermented beer! Cheers! :)

Thanks Rudeboy

It was in the primary a week before racking.. Bubbling had ceased visually. Used bottled ozarka.. Guess it should be okay, was going to be around 6.4abv.. Like 5%something now and maybe a slight off flavor.. Guess we'll see.

Even a week can be to early to rack to secondary.

You should check the Specific Gravity with a hydrometer, or a refractometer, to see if fermentation is complete before you move your beer.

If the O2 has any affect it will cause the beer to stale quicker. Drink it quick and you may never notice it.

An alternate choice; you could add some more fermentables (quarter lb of sugar or extract), to get the yeast working again, and they may scrub the O2 from the beer.

So I brewed an extract IPA last week, mostly a Stone clone variation, steeped specialty grains. Used wlp007, was done in 24 hours pretty much. Racked to secondary today.. And my volume was fairly short. I had heard that you don't want much headspace in the secondary. So I added bottled water (racked it). Maybe 1/2-3/4 gal... Put the airlock back in and dropped it back in chest freezer back at 67deg. After the fact it dawned on me I should have boiled the water to take the oxygen out. I plan on two more weeks in the chest freezer, plan on 2-stage dry hopping.

Soo did I ruin it with the water? Or will I basically have to wait to find out after bottle conditioning? Think it have too much Diacetyl?

Would it help to up the temp for a couple days to 70 or so?

Welcome to being a homebrewer! The very 1st thing to remember is RDWHAHB! and I mean that. Almost every new brewer panics over their 1st beer. Honestly it could taste like gasoline but you will think it tastes like the nectar of the gods!

Bottled water is sterile in almost all instances, some have chlorine in them though an that could be bad. The dry hop will REALLY help your beer so back to RDWHAHB! :mug:

I also would not worry so much about diacetyl since you used an ale yeast, that is mostly a lager yeast concern.

IMO it all sounds like it will be fine.

Back