It's time . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a while since I brewed . . . a long while. TBH I got real busy and to be more honest I got bored with simple normal brews. After looking at the One Year Later 06.06.06 it got me thinking what I enjoyed about brewing. I decided the part I liked the most is when I pushed myself with some wierd ass recipie with the attitude "If it turned out . . . Great, If it didnt . . . Oh Well". The Dragons Milk thread a while back gave me the itch again but thinking of the fiasco I had making the 06.06.06 beer and as good as it turned out (IMHO) was what I really enjoyed. I mean F*** anyone can make a pale ale or a nut brown and have it turn out drinkable, but what about the truely out there ideas . . . .

Well as the title suggests . . . It's time. Time for me to get off my ass and push the limits. Time for me to pull an old idea out of the file cabnet and say WTF . . . IT it turns out . . . Great, If not . . . .

On my next 5 day I'm making HOLY HELL. I'm making HOLY HELL and I'm going for the full 25%. There is no stopping me as long as I can get the yeast and thats where you guys come in. The WLP0099 yeast was a limited release. I'm going to be calling around and trying to find a source for it but if anyone has any just in case I guarentee you that you will recieve a 6pack of the brew.

I also need to find out which brand of extra light / light DME has the least amount of non fermentables in it. If you can help me find out that information it will be GREATLY appreciated.

To refresh our memories here is the recipie again . . .and it's a final recipie. I'm not making any changes to it because like I said before, If it turns out . . .
HOLY HELL
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.190 (est)
Anticipated SRM: 52.8 (est)
Anticipated IBU: 106.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG 13.62 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
49.9 15.00 lbs. Light DME 8
20.0 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(6-row) America 71.27 2
6.7 2.00 lbs. CaraMunich 40 France 69.19 40
6.7 2.00 lbs. Crystal 30L America 71.27 30
6.7 2.00 lbs. CaraPilsner France 71.27 10
5.0 1.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 58.81 350
5.0 1.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 60.88 120
Potential represented as Yield, Coarse Grind As Is.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Brewer's Gold Whole 7.00 53.0 60 min.
2.00 oz. Bullion Whole 7.00 40.3 40 min.
2.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 12.8 20 min.
2.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.
2.00 oz. Bramling Cross Whole 6.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Notes
-----

Begin fermentation with a wort that would produce a 6-8% beer, and add DME each day during the first 5 days. This can be done together with aeration. This is mandatory if the reported 25% ABV is to be achieved.

Use 2 times the normal nutrient level
  • mix in with min amount of water to liquidfy and boil
  • Consider aerating intermittently during the first 5 days of fermentation. This will help yeast cells during a very difficult fermentation. Aerate with oxygen for 30 seconds or air for 5-10 minutes
  • stir in with paint mixer on drill
2oz oak chips in secondary for 6 months
(oak chips will be toasted in the oven @ 350 for 30 minutes)

Initial fermentation using WLP028 (1 liter starter)
repitch WL099 after couple days (1 liter starter)

Bottle
in 16oz bottles (2 servings per bottle) STILL with cork/wax seal
age 2 years with taste tests at 6,12,18 months

Collect underware
?
Profit

As always I open and open invatation to the sause's help for this brew for one 750ml or two 12 ounce bottles of this massive brew. And posted earlier what do people think is the most yeast can handle in the opening pitch? I'm thinking about 1.100. Of which I think this might be hard to do.

:off: Anyone willing to use the "chuggler" on this beer? Just saw the ad for that one.

as for yeast may I suggest looking at this page:

http://www.whitelabs.com/distilling/yeast.html

Danstil EDV 46
Active dried strain, selected in France from a beet molasses fermentation, is also suited to fermentations of other by-products of the sugar industry. It is a fast starter, has high osmotolerance (up to 20%), and an exceptional aptitude for alcohol conversion. Available in 400 gram package. ($30)

Or if you're crazy

SuperStart
Active dry yeast for use in fuel ethanol and beverage fermentations. Adequate for neutral spirits but primarily designed for biofuel. It contains a selected strain of saccharomyces cerevisiae distillers yeast in a highly concentrated and stable form. Available in 20 kilogram ($195) and 400 gram packages ($8.95).

Well he said he was having trouble finding wlp009 and if he needs something to handle 25% then I figured he'd want to use a yeast that can do that.

BUMP

I know this is a dead thread, but how did this turn out?? Would love an update

I don't think Pumbaa hangs around much these days. In fact, looking at his last posts, he has only posted a handful of times this year.

Back