Simple Keezer Build Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
Ive searched several threads on keezer and have an idea on what I want to do. Id like to build just the keezer with a collar, and then put some kind of wood paneling/Beadboard around it. I dont want a coffin since I dont think I could do it. Id like one of the 7.2 cu ft freezers with 5-6 taps. Id like it very similar to this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-born-123402/

Ive looked at many how-to's but cant seem to find out how you guys are attaching the wood to the freezer. Is it just an seperate build and you guys are just "inserting" the keezer into the outer frame without attaching it to the actual freezer?...or are you guys drilling screws into the freezer?

Hey Paranoid,

I'm just starting to put together the parts for my build too and I Just bought a 8.8 Kenmore today for the system. I've been looking at a lot of these threads and most of the builders are just creating a frame around the freezer. They don't secure the wood directly to the freezer. Part of this is so that they can create space around the skin of the freezer to allow air flow across the skin to keep the freezer cool.

The other reason is so that if the freezer breaks and you need to replace it you can pull it out and slide a new one in that has similar dimensions.

I'm going to start out with just a collar build since I'm not exactly sure how I'd want the surround to look but then I'll probably redo it later.

Hope that helps, I've spent way to many hours looking at every build I can find! LOL

If I can build a coffin, anyone can. Go for it if you really want one.

It looks like the build you linked to just built a box and set the freezer into it. That's sort of what I did with my bar, so I can pull the base of the freezer out whenever I want.

p.s. Love me some Radiohead.

All good points. Especially about building a coffin - I had zero woodworking skills (I had never used a saw, sander, etc.) before I did mine and I think it turned out OK. But I can understand your PoV - I felt the same way when planning out my build.

As far as framing it, I would steer away from directly skinning the freezer -

1) Build a cart with wheels - this can be as easy as a few 2x4s with casters on them
2) Put freezer on the cart
3) Build three panels from plywood
4) Connect those panel to each other and then sit the "frame" on the "cart"

Bingo! Nothing connected to the freezer at all.

If you are looking to attach the wood to the top of the freezer, like i did in mine https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/minimum-woodwork-experience-keezer-project-313790/ the best way to do it is by drilling small holes in the wood and the top of the freezer and using what are called T-nuts to hold onto the wood on top and connect to washers/bolts on the other side of the metal. I think I did a decent job showing the step by step in mine. I realize this is a bit late, but in the event you havent done it yet, hope it helps

I just completed building my first build, and the freezer is not attached to the frame. I built a frame and the put some small strips of 1x down to keep the freezer from moving around. This also helps provide air space around it, and allows me to take the freezer out so I can move the cabinet inside after staining and wiring. For the top, I attached a piece of plywood with screws and then glued another piece on to for a finished look.

image-3577933827.jpg

Latest posts

Back