Pot size for all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbro

Reaction score
Hey guys

So I'm still pretty new at the whole thing but I've worked on three batches of beer and all have been partial malt/extract. And I'm about to try the rewarding step up to all grain. I currently have a 32 qt stainless steel pot but will I need a larger one for the switch to all grain?

Thanks

32 will be fine. That's the size I use. You will need to monitor it with a spray bottle, but you are good to go.

You should be OK, but a 40 qt would be a lot less hassle. If you can contemplate brewing in aluminum, you could probably pick up a 10 gallon pot for pretty cheap. I got one for around $36 bucks or so.

I use that, along with the 30 qt pot from a turkey fryer for brew days. I mash (BIAB) in the smaller pot, in order to minimize headspace during the rest period, and then dunk sparge and boil in the 10 gallon pot. It actually works pretty slick.

Note: I have tried boiling a 5-gallon batch in the 30 qt pot, and I had to fight tooth-and-nail to keep from boiling over. The extra 2 qts might help, but I would think they won't make a huge difference.

I used a 30 quart pot for years. It was watched like a hawk until after the hot break, but I could start with 6.25 gallons or so so it worked out well. Fermcap would be a huge help for you with a small pot!

I have a 32qt pot, and it works. I've had a few boil overs when adding pellets at 60 min.
If I were to do it again, I would have bought a 40qt. my 2 cents.

I have a 60 quart pot and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is big enough to handle a 10 gallon batch which is really nice if you have friends who keeping raiding your stash. This way you don't have to keep brewing the same "favorite" beer.

Back